What's new

Classic Sports events? (1 Viewer)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Unlikely I know but I would love old sports events to be released. NBA games, football games, boxing matches. There's a bootleg market out there for many events but I'd love official releases. Things like Ali fights I'd love on DVD!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wvtvguy said:
Unlikely I know but I would love old sports events to be released. NBA games, football games, boxing matches. There's a bootleg market out there for many events but I'd love official releases. Things like Ali fights I'd love on DVD!
Have you checked out Amazon?

Plenty of complete World Series box sets, and NFL, NBA, and NHL Team themed game sets. Not as many as you might like, but they're out there.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The thing about "official" releases is that they are devoid of pregame/postgame etc. which is why most of us who are sports fanatics admittedly do prefer going the other route. However, an official release that gives us great video quality for certain things will also be welcome.

These World Series have been released complete on DVD. 1975-1977-1979-1985-1986-1987-1988-1991-2001-2002 and all WS from 2004 to the present. Greatest game compilations will also land you things like Larsen's perfect game, Mazeroski's HR in the 1960 WS etc.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
That's what I'm interested in. Complete broadcasts & any bonus footage when possible. I have some sports I taped years ago & when I look at then now, it puts me back in the moment the more complete a broadcast I have.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Yeah, there is something special about seeing old broadcasts of games from yesteryear. Not just the games themselves, but the broadcasting and seeing how the graphics looked, and back when the score was not always on the screen, but would pop up every now and then.

I get so annoyed when seeing them on one of the sports networks (NFL Network, NBA TV), because of that constant scrolling of news at the bottom (not sure what it's called exactly). I mean, seriously, is it really necessary to have the latest news or scores scrolling at the bottom when airing a vintage game? It kind of takes away from the nostalgic moment.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have several of the World Series sets and enjoy them very much. The video quality varies, but it is nice to be able to watch these original broadcasts. I also have This Week in Baseball Season 1 from the 1977 season. It looks like it a copy of video tape, but again, I enjoy reliving the pennent races and seeing the players from that era. I am hoping they continue with these releases.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
no one mentioned the "thrill of victory. and the agony of defeat" !!!!

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Watching some of old Ali fights ESPN Classic has been running makes me again wish old sports events could be presented on DVD or Blu Ray. The picture quality will never be great but couldn't it be improved a bit?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The thing about "official" releases is that they are devoid of pregame/postgame etc. which is why most of us who are sports fanatics admittedly do prefer going the other route. However, an official release that gives us great video quality for certain things will also be welcome.

There is an exception on that-- A&E's release of the 1985 World Series between St. Louis and K.C. (ABC had that year's Series) has pregame coverage on all games, and postgame on most, IIRC.

Yeah, there is something special about seeing old broadcasts of games from yesteryear. Not just the games themselves, but the broadcasting and seeing how the graphics looked, and back when the score was not always on the screen, but would pop up every now and then.

And, in the case of one old college football release, when there were studio updates-- A&E's release of the Greatest Games of the Oklahoma Sooners had those kept in on the 1987 Red River Rivalry between Oklahoma and Texas; at several points during the broadcast, Brent Musburger would send it back to New York for a update from Jim Nantz (Jim was in Studio 43 on college football then; he did that for four seasons starting in 1985), and on three of those occasions, there would be a College Football Report Update (two more simply had Jim on-screen in the studio going over some other scores). When that first one showed up, I was pleasantly surprised, as I didn't expect anything like that to be kept in.

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to acquire those events from my contacts at the networks and leagues themselves and from collectors sources, this way they are complete and contain original commercials.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I was fortunate in that I taped a lot of stuff off air and still have it (commercials included) Being a diehard Celts fan, I Have a lot of Celtics games from 84-87 including complete finals from CBS broadcasts, the complete 90 World Series ( I'm a Reds fan too) and I was fortunate. enough to get the complete 80 series from a friend who is a big Phils fan.Also wasn't a big WWF fan but for some reason, I taped the first Wrestlemania.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The one official release we don't have but should I blame the NFL for, and that's for their not coming to an agreement with the man who has preserved the only known copy of the CBS telecast of Super Bowl I.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The one official release we don't have but should I blame the NFL for, and that's for their not coming to an agreement with the man who has preserved the only known copy of the CBS telecast of Super Bowl I.

Not the NFL's fault that the son of the guy who actually taped the event and left it in an attic decided he wanted to go all Doctor Evil and ask for ONE. MILLION. DOLLARS *pinkie to mouth* for something he had nothing to do with and didn't exactly "preserve", he just got lucky and didn't throw it away in an annual attic cleaning.

So nobody gets to see it. And I'm okay with that, because the gouger overestimating the worth of his incomplete tape gets nothing.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not the NFL's fault that the son of the guy who actually taped the event and left it in an attic decided he wanted to go all Doctor Evil and ask for ONE. MILLION. DOLLARS *pinkie to mouth* for something he had nothing to do with and didn't exactly "preserve", he just got lucky and didn't throw it away in an annual attic cleaning.

So nobody gets to see it. And I'm okay with that, because the gouger overestimating the worth of his incomplete tape gets nothing.

You realize that the reason he came up with that number is because before anyone knew if a copy existed, there were articles and stories written in which it said numerous times that that was how much it would be worth if it turned up. All of a sudden, once it was found, the value dropped by $970,000. If I was him, I'd dump it in the ocean before I'd accept the NFL's offer.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You realize that the reason he came up with that number is because before anyone knew if a copy existed, there were articles and stories written in which it said numerous times that that was how much it would be worth if it turned up. All of a sudden, once it was found, the value dropped by $970,000. If I was him, I'd dump it in the ocean before I'd accept the NFL's offer.

Obviously, the articles were wrong.

At least there is a copy with the Paley Center, so it is preserved.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Upload that sucker to YouTube! Lol!!!

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I enjoyed the '86 World Series set I picked up last year. It was the first year I had really gotten into baseball as a kid, & I hadn't seen it since it was played.

The quality resembled something akin to the old 3/4-inch tape I used back in my local newscasting days, but it looked perfect enough on my old 90s-era CRT.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The fault IMO rests with the NFL and I think there is a bigger reason why they're blowing off the guy. The NFL has for a LONG time had a condescending view of the game's television history because they believe that what they did with NFL Films is special and unique and should be the only way the game is documented. This is why for decades the NFL was the ONLY sports league that wouldn't allow replays of vintage telecasts on the cable channels and why the NFL was more known for trying to crack down on collectors who simply owned and traded vintage telecasts. They are more concerned with trying to preserve the image of NFL Films than seeing the game's TV history preserved and that to me is pathetic. A million is exactly what that telecast is really worth and given the profits the NFL has made, they can more than afford to compensate the person who kept it preserved.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only classic sports events I would be willing to watch again, would be:

- old John McEnroe matches when he was throwing tantrums
- Edmonton Oilers games back when they were the "dream team" in the early-mid 1980s (ie. Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, etc ...).

Back in the day, I didn't live anywhere which played regular Oilers games on tv. The few I did watch in those days, I thought were outstanding.

More generally, I found most sports events have almost no rewatch value for me. It doesn't seem as exciting to watch, when the final outcome is already known.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks