What's new

"Classic Sesame Street Boxset" Out in October (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks for the update on Oz. Jerry Nelson was the Count etc. and I'm glad he's still around.

Everyone keeps talking about an Elmer, er Elmo. He doesn't exist on my Street :D

I wonder how many people will buy this and be surprised that Oscar was once a different color. Until one of the cable channels showed some vintage SS awhile back I had completely forgotten the "Orange Years".

Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This sounds great, I hope they release follow-up collections until we have all the classic segments and sketches on DVD!!!

Mark Lx

Second Unit
A small thing, but I sort of resent the name "Old School", which isn't an expression that would have been used at the time. It's like they're apologizing for releasing something dated, which is the whole point.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Wow, that's freaky. And they never solved it? Did he go back to work on the show after that?

Mark Y

Screenwriter

He did go back to work on the show. That incident, I believe, happened around 1980. However, Northern Calloway is said to have had some psychological and other health issues. He left the show at the end of the 1988-1989 season. He died in 1990.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I didn't even think of that. I was just glad they didn't go with "Old skool" or something like that. I actually feel "Old School" is clever for this set of old educational shows.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Where did that expression come from anyways? What does 'school' have to do with most of the things it refers to- they're old, but not usually school-related.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think it started with rap music. It meant the music leading up to rap that "taught" or directed the newer rap artists in how to do it or evolved from that early music. The same can be applied to almost anything. It's pretty clever on this set.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Re: Seasame Street Live..

Don't know if they have this in other city's besides New york, but I just heard an add for the latest one on the radio. Now it's more or less 'Elmo's Seasame Street Live!'. That's really sad. Why bother have the other characters that started the series on at all?

I remember going to this as a kid, getting those lightup fiber optic things, and those flashing light things. I remember bringing home something with cookie monster on it...might have been a cardboard picture attached to a stick...

Now EVERYHING is Elmo, Elmo Elmo :).

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
"Old school" is a term that predates rap and its current pop culture usage. It was in use at the time of these early episodes.

It was generally used academically, in reference to a theory or approach or way of thinking that predated a more modern approach.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I saw a Sesame Street Live show a long time ago (early 80s), the ENTIRE thing was a tape being played straight through, and all the live performers had to lip-sync with it. I felt sorry for the actors. They ought to release just the audio that was used for these.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think we saw SS on ice at the Omni in Atlanta in the early 70s. I remember I had a new camera and I used up all the film taking pictures of my shoes, the garbage can at the front of the building, inside my mother's purse, etc. They thought it was funny. Unfortunately I cried when they wouldn't develop my pictures. Now I have nothing to remember it by. :angry:

Anyway, the audio from the old SS live show would be a great extra on a future set of these. I hope they'll do it.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I hope this set includes the first appearance of the Count, where Ernie builds a pyramid and the Count hypnotizes him so he can count the blocks. Gave me nightmares as a kid but I really want to see it now!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I remember a SS without the Count. He always bored me.
You know you're old when you consider The Count a "new" character. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This may be the best purchase I make this year.
Talk about bringing back childhood memories.......wow.
Does anyone know when volume 2 is going to be released?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks