What's new

Classic series desired on DVD... (1 Viewer)

roven97

Grip
Real Name
Phil
I've noticed some of these mentioned in other threads. But here is a list of the many different series I'd like to see in complete uncut restored box sets. Some nice extras would even be the old radio serials. What are some others? And anyone know of any release announcements?

Blondie
Three stooges (of course I just noticed that it's been announced)
Laurel and Hardy
Our Gang complete Roach/MGM
Bowery Boys
Dead End Kids
Andy Hardy
Bomba
Dr. Kildare
Dr. Christian
The Falcon
Francis, the Talking Mule
The Lone Wolf
Ma and Pa Kettle
(I'm so glad we finally have Mr. Moto)
Boston Blackie
Crime Doctor
Jungle Jim
Philo Vance
The Saint
Tarzan (the rest not on the WB set)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
since you're covering comedy shorts, add a complete collection of Robert Benchley's MGM output to the list. chronological would be the way to go and I assume could be covered with a single-disc.

the Boston Blackie films would be fun but I'm certain we'll never see the Columbia titles and I'm not too confident there'd be a market for the 1920's film output. I'm not even sure what condition the elements are in and there's almost no chance that any of the studios would consider them... I don't think there's much viability there.

I'd kill for all the other listed though, thankfully we already have the Stooges coming!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Phil, you have great tates!

The bulk of Ma & Pa Kettle are on DVD from Universal. They didn't release the two films without Percy Kilbride but the others are readily available and cheap. There was a volume of Francis movies released also.

Warners has said that Andy Hardy, Dr. Kildare, Falcon, Saint, Philo Vanceand Tarzan are all either on the schedule or are planned. Bowery Boys are in limbo due to an inability to find good prints. The bulk of the ESK are PD and readily available although in sub-par quality.

The Dr. Christian series (also PD) is available from Alpha video.

Sony (Columbia) just hired a consultant (Mike Schlesinger) who has been pushing them to release more classics. He specifically has championed the Lone Wolf series due to the popularity of Warren William among classic film buffs. They're well aware of the popularity of Boston Blackie and their other series. Mike says that they're watching the sales of the Warner releases in 2008 of Saint/Falcon, et al. before making a decision.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the continued absence of Roach era L&H and Our Gang from Region 1 DVD is a disgrace.

Steve

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I've always greatly enjoyed Paramount's "Henry Aldrich" series, with James Lydon. Seems to have really fallen through the cracks in the past few decades, unfortunately, compared to many other film series. Nonetheless, I'd put it in my top ten list. The films are great fun, and far less cloying than MGM's "Andy Hardy" offerings.

RobertGr

Second Unit
The Henry Alrdich series is under the control of Universal/MCA, the film's copyrights have been renewed by them so they would be the ones to contact and voice your support for dvd release. I for one would buy them in a heartbeat! I am surprised TCM has not shown them!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Wheeler & Woolsey
Charley Chase
Boy Friends
Taxi Boys
Thelma Todd & Zasu Pitts
Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly
Andy Clyde
Hildegarde Withers
The Ritz Brothers
Torchy Blaine

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
For features, I see that the Mexican Spitfire series hasn't yet been mentioned. I'd pay to see those. And a good boxed set of Leon Errol shorts would be most welcome; ditto Edgar Kennedy and Andy Clyde. Of course, it goes without saying that the absence of the Hal Roach sound films is indeed a disgrace.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There are a number of short subjects that if packaged in a collection, I would purchase. I also believe they would do well simply because I read comments at multiple forums asking for them. Folks like Leon Errol, Edgar Kennedy, Charley Chase, ZaSu Pitts, Robert Benchley were all very, very funny and if some of them are on the verge of being forgotten it's about time we're reminded who they were. On the drama side, the CRIME DOES NOT PAY series was also quite well done and deserves more exposure.

Given that Universal has put out innumerable franchise collections, I'm rather surprised this didn't get released. Perhaps the elements are in poor shape? I've also read that some of these collections didn't do well at retail so Universal may be skittish at releasing something that isn't too well known today.

Steve

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hey Steve

I actually contacted another video label a while back and suggested they try to arrange to release the films through a deal with Universal. My contact there liked the idea and was having someone look into it. The point being people out there know of the films and hopefully they will be released somday soon. The least we could all do is e-mail TCM and suggest they air the films perhaps they would if there is interest in the series. By the way Stevo GREAT post re: Columbia and their finally looking at classic releases!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think a compilation of Joe McDoakes Comedies, Robert Benchley's MGM Shorts, Hal Roach Laurel & Hardy, Charley Chase and Our Gang Shorts, Pete Smith Specialties, John Nesbitt’s Passing Parade, Fitzpatrick Traveltalks, Newsreels & Screenliners/Sportsopes, LT/MM, Happy Harmony & MGM Animated Shorts packaged together in a two-disc set would make a perfect release!

roven97

Grip
Real Name
Phil
Oh man I second the Crime does not pay series. I'd also love to see all the one and two reelers that occasionally show up on TCM or FMC between movie showtimes. It's nice that we were getting stuff like that on the Fox Classics line, but a box set would be nice. Similar to the Treasures box sets that have come out. I often TiVo sections just to hope I catch one of these!

Doug Abbott

Agent
Please let's not forget the classic Warner Brothers 1950s western series. Colt 45, Lawman, Sugerfoot, Dakotas, Cheyenne, Bronco, Alaskans, and Maverick. Even a box set of the best of each series would sell to the many fans who still love these series.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Fans of series films will absolutely love the November TCM schedule. It is chock full of series films from the Warner and Columbia library including some that haven't been on TV much (Torchy Blane, Whistler, I Love a Mystery).

Some of the series on the schedule have already been announced for DVD (mostly through WHV). Hopefully the others will eventually find their way also. At any rate, this schedule will allow viewers to see why fans of these films enjoy them so much.

Steve

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Does anybody remember the laserdisc of shorts from the MGM library that was released backin the mid-Nineties? I would look at the box set in the video store, and want it, but couldn't afford the high price point. I kick myself now as, if I recall correctly, they had some gems. Traveltalks and Benchley's were on there... I can't remember what else.

I would love to get good prints of Blondie w/ original openings, all of the Tarzan's, Andy Hardy... the list goes on. I really need to get a job that would just support my DVD buying vice. Anyone know where I can get a good quality DVD shelf? Mine are currently anywhere I can pile them. I'm in desparate need of organization!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This item posted at the movies unlimited Q&A page came way out of left field for me:

If this is true (big "if"), this could be a sign of very good things to come from Sony.

Steve

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd love to see proper collections of Laurel & Hardy talkies. RHI seems to be distributing through Genius Entertainment now, instead of Artisan/Lionsgate.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Wow, that news was out of left field. And while I won't allow my emotions to fly too high just yet, I must admit I'd be very excited to get a set of "Jungle Jim" films. Nice little series.

Gary "thanks for that info, Steve" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks