What's new

Directors Classic Screenwriters: Another Literate New Tournament (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
John HustonBringing Up Baby is no doubt my favorite in this pairing, but overall it is hard to get past so many fine Huston films.

Orson Welles

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
My votes:

A coin flip decides is favor of Dudley Nichols, as this bracket was too tough for me to decide.
Orson Welles, in a very close one. Furthman was probably the all time writing room workhorse of Hollywood, though, having his name attached to over 100 scripts.

John Huston wins bracket 7, 9-1.
Orson Welles rolls over his competition, 7-3.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ROUND 1; Bracket 9:

Richard Brooks (The Killers, Brute Force, Key Largo, Elmer Gantry, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Professionals, In Cold Blood, Bite the Bullet)

vs.

Abraham Polonsky (Body and Soul, Force of Evil, Odds Against Tomorrow, Tell Them Willie Boy is Here)

ROUND 1; Bracket 10:

Paddy Chayefsky (Marty, The Bachelor Party, The Goddess, The Americanization of Emily, The Hospital, Network)

vs.

R.C. Sherriff (The Old Dark House, The Invisible Man, The Four Feathers, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Odd Man Out, Quartet)

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
I was surprised at the outcome of the Mank/Raphaelson bracket, but I'm frankly stunned to see the legendary Paddy Chayefsky so thoroughly drubbed by the relatively obscure R.C. Sherriff. Certainly I thought Chayefsky's legendary script for Network, not to mention his very fine scripts for Marty, The Bachelor Party, The Goddess, and The Hospital (although certainly much less known than Network), would win the favor for this bracket. I can't say I'm disappointed, though, as R.C. Sherriff is undoubtedly an excellent writer. His humanistic script for Carol Reed's most personal film, Odd Man Out, is, I feel, a particular achievement.

My votes: Richard Brooks
Paddy Chayefsky

Richard Brooks wins bracket 9 in a shutout.
R.C. Sherriff upsets in bracket 10, 7-3.

ROUND 1; Bracket 11:

William Faulkner (To Have and Have Not, Mildred Pierce, The Southerner, The Big Sleep, Land of the Pharaohs)

vs.

Robert Bolt (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, A Man for All Seasons, Ryan’s Daughter, The Mission)

ROUND 1; Bracket 12:

Michael Wilson (A Place in the Sun, Salt of the Earth, Friendly Persuasion, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Planet of the Apes)

vs.

Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger (49th Parallel, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, I Know Where I’m Going!, A Matter of Life and Death, Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks