What's new

Classic popeye cartoons restored! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
http://www.cartoonresearch.com/news.html
Jerry Beck supervised the effort to restore the classic Popeye cartoons and the fruit of the effort will premire on Cartoon Network.
If you've seen any of the current TV masters of the Popeye's, they're either crude Korean colorized versions or badly worn copies...
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is excellent news. I've been wondering why you never see Popeye cartoons on TV and the videos that I've seen are usually the terrible colorized versions that you're talking about. I hope these make it to DVD and I'll be at the front of the line.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Beautiful! I'll have to stay up late to watch, but those old Popeye cartoons are worth it! I sure hope they show the extended version of the SINBAD cartoon, it was like 15 minutes long.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Evan Case

Screenwriter
This is just awesome.
I've never been the biggest fan of WB, MGM, or Disney cartoons, but I've always loved those 30's Popeye shorts. The animation and voicework is just terminally goofy and really matches well with my personality.
The Arabian Nights shorts are probably the best, but I'd buy 'em all on DVD if they released them.
Evan
------------------
"* * * * * * * * * * * * *" - Buster Keaton
S&S: 16 films left
Most recent: Paisan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That "Sindbad" cartoon is another cartoon that was screwed up by United Artists (well, actually AAP...who merged with UA in the 1960's)
The original cartoon was later spliced into a cartoon, Big Bad Sinbad which intercut 1950's Famous Studio animation with Fleischer Studios animation...rather poorly. The voices from the original were redubbed.
The original has shown up on CN many times (One "Acme Hour" had all 3 extra-long Popeye cartoons!), but with a "fake" opening that was spliced in from one of the Korean colorized versions of the Popeyes.
I hope it was restored with the B&W cartoons....the print CN shows is a Technicolor print, but it has a lot of scratches and is from 16mm. The negatives (3-strip negatives) to the Technicolor Popeye's were never cut up to put in new titles, so restoration should be one not unlike Wizard of Oz's DVD.
------------------

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Can someone tell me the story behind Bluto in the sailor outfit and Brutus in civilian clothes in other Popeye cartoons? Was the name changed for some sort of legal reasons?? The toons I saw growing up in the mid-70's were always with Brutus.
Jeff

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Hope to see me favorite episode (don't know the title) where Popeye destroys his house in his dogged quest to kill a housefly that's keeping him awake. I remember watching that as a kid with my dad and we would fall over laughing.
biggrin.gif

Also, scrolling down past the story in the link, I see a new Rick Goldschmidt book is coming out in the next few weeks on the making of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer which is also awesome news.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
[Edited last by Michael*K on October 06, 2001 at 02:39 AM]

bill lopez

Second Unit
The King Feature Popeye cartoons were better, those are the ones with Brutus. Very charming cartoons.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
King Features (which in my opinion lacked the charm of the Fleischer cartoons...but are better than the Famous Studios 'quickie' cartoons) renamed Bluto to Brutus thinking that Paramount made up the name 'Bluto' even though Segar came up with the name.
It's actually funny...it tells you how much KFS knew about the actual Segar comic strip at that time.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks