What's new

Classic Films At the Ziegfeld NYC from 2/3 (GODFATHER. LOTR, IND. JONES, more) (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Joe; the phrase "the way movies were meant to be seen" is quite common, and I hear it several times a day, so I can't sue you.

However, "Movies the way they were meant to be seen" is unique to the Lafayette.

Reel to reel means that the film is projected on 2000 foot reels (approx. 20 minutes) with an operator in the booth at all times. This not only insures the quality of the presentation, it assures the studios that somebody is there to protect their valuable prints.

Let me put it to you this way. In their upcoming Movie Musicals weekend, they are running the only known 35mm dye-transfer Technicolor print of LOVING YOU; a film that (as far as we know) has not been seen theatrically since its 1959 re-issue. The only reason the Lafayette is getting this one-of-a-kind print is because of their expertise and reputation in the world of theatrical exhibition. After all, there's a reason why USA Today listed them as one of the Top Ten venues to see a movie and enjoy the Movie Palace Experience.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
No argument here, Bob. I won't dispute that the Lafayette Theatre is the preferable, or most professional, or second-to-none venue in which to see these great older movies. I'm just saying that, when given no other choice, I'm happy to see them on a big screen. I'll probably see 2001 at the Ziegfeld, and possibly LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, too. What I'm saying is that I won't pass up the opportunity just on the unforseeable chance that, at some point, the Lafayette will run it too in the very near future. And I wouldn't doubt that Peter has already screened these classics in the past.

DeeF

Screenwriter
How wide is the Lafayette's screen? Boy, I'm really getting excited to see it!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the kind words, Jack and Bob. Joe and Dee, I hope you can make it out to the Lafayette sometime soon for one of my special events - if you do, please introduce yourself and I'll give you a tour of the booth and backstage areas. I'm also looking forward to seeing Lawrence of Arabia at the Ziegfeld in 70mm, when they ran it last a few years ago it was a treat to see there. They can do a great job and it is a beautiful place to see a film. With the Ziegfeld now on the occasional path to show classics, the Loew's Jersey in Jersey City and their monthly show, the Union County Arts Center in Rahway and its monthly shows, and my weekly films at the Lafayette, the New York metro area has never had it so good regarding classic films in suitable venues.

Dee, the print of The Band Wagon looks to be very nice from the quick eyeballing I just gave it. For Academy ratio films, our screen is about 20-25 feet wide or so. The best seats are about 10-12 rows back, but many people love watching from the balcony even though it's very far away. Be sure to get there early to hear the pre-show organ concert.

DeeF

Screenwriter
It looks like the 9:14 train from Penn Station is our only choice. It gets us to Suffern at 10:05, plenty of time to hear the organ.

I'm an organist myself, and I've played at Radio City Music Hall.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Perfect - gives you time to walk around the town and grab some breakfast before we open at 11. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Hold on a minute. There's a train I can get from Penn Station to Suffern? Where does it let you off, in relation to the theatre?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
About a five minute walk up Main Street/Route 59/Lafayette Avenue (same road, three names), through the heart of the town.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Suffern is a lovely town with some very nice shops. Make sure to spend a little time and enjoy your visit!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

There is no direct train from NYC to Suffern NY. You go from NYC to Secacus Junction. You then go to the lower level and get the train to Suffern NY.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Sorry to say, I'm ill today, so we won't be coming tomorrow. We'll plan for March 10, Kiss Me Kate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks