What's new

Circus World French Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
haineshisway said:
I'm not quite as enamored of this as the rest seem to be. It has its moments, certainly and looks better than it ever has on home video - but 2.0? That is just ridiculous for a 6-track stereo show.
The sound on the Korean disc is 4.0 and there is separation on the front three channels but I hear no sound coming out the surrounds.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/319487/circus-world-french-blu-ray#post_3918884
The sound on the Korean disc is 4.0 and there is separation on the front three channels but I hear no sound coming out the surrounds.

I read that there is a decent Korean release and an awful release. Could you tell me which of these 2 covers is the one you have? I believe it's the first one, but just want to be sure before purchasing..thanks.

d137c94b_circusworld1.jpeg

e1d76259_circusworld2.jpeg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
jim_falconer said:
I read that there is a decent Korean release and an awful release.  Could you tell me which of these 2 covers is the one you have?  I believe it's the first one, but just want to be sure before purchasing..thanks.

Yes, it is the first one. But, it can't compare to the French Blu-ray - http://cineramahistory.com/cw2.htm

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/319487/circus-world-french-blu-ray#post_3918971
Yes, it is the first one. But, it can't compare to the French Blu-ray - http://cineramahistory.com/cw2.htm

I see what you mean...thanks. But besides not having a multi-region player, I could never watch and enjoy a film with forced sub titles. I'll pick up the Korean version for now, and just hope that one day the film will receive a North American blu release.

Thanks again...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
jim_falconer said:
I see what you mean...thanks.  But besides not having a multi-region player, I could never watch and enjoy a film with forced sub titles.  I'll pick up the Korean version for now, and just hope that one day the film will receive a North American blu release.
Thanks again...
Ken says in post # 8 that it plays fine on his region A player. The 2.0 sound and forced sub titles bother me too.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that the disc plays in Region A, B and C players.
The mastering for this one was done on a very tight budget due to the very unfortunate rights situation and taking this into account the Blu-Ray could almost be called miraculous compared to the horrible picture quality of the other two Bronstons titles released on Blu-Ray in Europe. Unfortunately when work on this was done the audio was available only in stereo and given the budgetary constraints anything other than a pristine source would have had problems fitting into the budget and I doubt such a source is available.
Here's hoping that we will see a release of 55 Days at Peking in similar or even better quality in the near future, imo it is the better movie and it also looks better than Circus World.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF /t/319487/circus-world-french-blu-ray#post_3917621
Is there any way to defeat the forced subs?

Yes, but not if playing the actual disc. All appropriately licensed Blu-ray players would have to respect the "forced" flag on the subtitles.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
One crazy question, why on earth would Filmedia release CIRCUS WORLD with forced subs and then release others like BANDOLERO with a no French sub option? Usually a company would have a particular way of doing this, Carlotta France or SoulMedia, for example, who always give you an option. So, we get a couple titles with forced subs and and a couple without. Pretty maddening, if you really are keen on owning the force sub one but can't stand the pesky things there muddling up the lower half of the screen. God, I hope they don't release a 55 DAYS AT PEKING this way!

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael

I spent all afternoon and evening watching this new BR release twice. It is a superb remastering of John Wayne's Circus World. At the end of the film it says that the film was restored and remastered to Hi-Def from an original 35 mm horizontal 8 perf Technirama camera negative by Pinewood Post Production at Pinewood Studios, UK. They did an excellent job. The English track is super even if there are forced French subtitles plus there is a French track with no subtitles but if you want to spend the time you can rip the film without the subtitles using Aiseesoft Ultimate Blu-ray Ripper. Here is a small portion of the film I did without the subtitles:

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/CJane_59/media/Duke/Movies/Circus%20World/Circus_World_Segment1.mp4.html

I only found it available on Amazon but it was worth every penny and made to play on both Region A & B Blu-ray players.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
The French release of Circus World is an incredible viewing experience. Besides the UK release of Zulu, I have not seen too many transfers of this high quality!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Amazon.fr is showing two Circus World blu-rays, both from Filmedia, one with a release date of July 2013. This has a different cover from that posted by DakotaSurfer. Does anyone know if this new release is different from their 2012 release, possibly with regard to the subtitles?

My favourite circus film is The Big Circus which would look great on blu-ray.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
You've set me off. Rhonda comes at No 1 (Slightly Scarlet) and No 3 (Gunfight at the OK Corral) in my most wanted blu-ray list. Home Before Dark, Alias Jesse James, While the City Sleeps, The Killer is Loose, The Crowded Sky, Tennessee's Partner, Out of the Past, Inferno 3-D etc etc etc. I could go on and on but will stop now!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
You've set me off. Rhonda comes at No 1 (Slightly Scarlet) and No 3 (Gunfight at the OK Corral) in my most wanted blu-ray list. Home Before Dark, Alias Jesse James, While the City Sleeps, The Killer is Loose, The Crowded Sky, Tennessee's Partner, Out of the Past, Inferno 3-D etc etc etc. I could go on and on but will stop now!
Don't stop on my account. I like Rhonda Fleming too.

I was very surprised to learn that Rhonda Fleming preferred working in black and white. When I see how John Alton lit her in Slightly Scarlet and Tennessee's Partner, I have thought she loved working in color movies.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Keith Cobby said:
Amazon.fr is showing two Circus World blu-rays, both from Filmedia, one with a release date of July 2013. This has a different cover from that posted by DakotaSurfer. Does anyone know if this new release is different from their 2012 release, possibly with regard to the subtitles?
No one has, it seems, has replied to this. Come on someone must know something. Where are you OliverK?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
john a hunter said:
No one has, it seems, has replied to this. Come on someone must know something. Where are you OliverK?
Sorry, can't help you guys there, very happy with the first version and moving the subs out of the active picture area with my OPPO player :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks