Circuity City 50% off HD DVD sale - starts 3/30/08

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just a heads up for those who want to finish off their HD DVD collection:

Circuit City will be having a 50% off sale on their remaining stock of HD DVDs starting this upcoming Sunday, 3/30/08.

The sale could go one of 2 ways:

1. It's 50% off MSRP, not that great a deal on the prices.

2. It's 50% off their everyday prices (based on their online pricing, we're looking at $7.50 and $10 for the usual titles priced $14.99 and $19.99, and a bit more for the recently released titles or larger sets).

I think it'll be option 2, but YMMV.

As most Best Buys and Targets have cleared off their HD DVD titles, this is probably one of the last retail opportunities to get HD DVDs at a decent price before the need to use online sources for them in the near future.

You may want to scope out your local Circuit City and see if they even have the titles you might be interested in for the sale on Sunday.

2. Matt Fig

Matt Fig Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be visiting a CC sunday. I wonder if the sale will be online as well?

3. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Yeah, I may stop by too to see what is left over. Unfortunately, the main titles that I'm interested in, like Stardust or Zodiac, are listed at $35, so still not worth it even at 50% off.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Zodiac is IMHO.

Its the finest HD disc Ive seen and its a great movie.

5. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I get what you are saying, it's worth $17.50+tax at CC, but the price at Amazon has been $18.95 for quite some time, and after tax, the CC price isn't a great deal, that's my point. I want to own it (I enjoyed the rental), but I'm realistic about how much I should spend to add more HD-DVDs to my collection (

6. Maurice Verploegen

Maurice Verploegen Stunt Coordinator

Well......it seems that my CC here in Boise is already done with HD-DVD. I thought to go in my CC today and take a look at what is left of their HD-DVD collection. You know, see if I should go in early on Sunday to get some good title's.
    And low and behold, the HD-DVD shelves were all empty. Not one title in sight. The also removed the shelf headers and spread out the BD title's over the old HD-DVD space.

Back to DDD and Amazon we go........

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The local CC hasn't had any HD DVD for over a month.

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I read in another post that retailers are sending the discs back. Is it true? hence we won't get the bargain prices we would like to see?

9. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

It's anyone's guess really. However, it does beg interesting questions such as this one:

Why would Warner Bros., for example, blowout HD DVD copies of Batman Begins and V for Vendetta when they could, not only, charge more for the Blu-ray Disc, but grow their choosen format rather than cannibalize that format's sales? Also, one could make the arguement that a studio could see the benefit in eliminating the potential confusion of continuing to offer two formats, which could ultimately stagnate option.

10. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    Our local CC's HD-DVD shelves were empty except for 3 copies of Shrek the Third and one copy of 300. I thought that was odd so I looked around and all the remaining HD-DVDs were just thrown into a cylindrical cardboard "bargain bin" in the new release and bargain aisle with the heading "HD-DVD's 50% off (reg prices $24.99 and $29.99). Excludes Shrek the Third and 300." So the 50% off sale isn't great except for recent and still expensive discs like Bourne Ultimatum (cheapest online I saw was $18). Plus you have to dig around in the damn bin to find anything. Since the original HD-DVD shelf space is unused, they should have left them on the shelves until their stock was much lower.

11. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The store I went to said they would ship everything they didn't sell back to the warehouse at the end of the week. I guess that means they won't just keep dropping the prices. Not that they had much left at my store. There were 10 or so people waiting at the door with me when they opened.

12. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

It's amazing to me how some people seat at Home trying to plot new ways for corporations to make more profits at their own expense.

Now you are in fact promoting and endorsing the idea that all remaining retail HD-DVD stock should be sent back to avoid "Confusion" , and as a side effect this action will maximize corporate profits by keeping the HD-DVD discs off the market thus forcing everyone –including those with HD-DVD players-- to pay inflated Blu Ray discs’ prices if they want Hi_DEF.

Unbe#@%#*&*lievable!

And to think that I simply came around here (AN HD_DVD SALE THREAD) to report that my local CC still carries many HD-DVD stock and I was able to score ”Full Metal Jacket” (remastered) and “The Searchers” for 12.50 a piece….

But I guess now, for Blu supporters this is a bad thing too [​IMG]

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't think that's what Paul is trying to do at all; he's just ruminating on why Warner hasn't slashed prices the way Universal and The Weinstein Company have (and Paramount effectively has), although he's also listing the benefits they would have of getting HD DVD off the shelves as quickly as possible.

I think Warner's big issue right now is that they don't want a $12 HD DVD copy of Happy Feet sitting on the shelf next to a $22 BD copy of Happy Feet, not because it creates confusion, but because it might plant the idea in consumer minds that high-definition copies of movies can and should cost less than what they're charging for a BD copy.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was miffed that mainly scenario 1 played out at Circuit City (50% off the stickered price, not the online price), so I didn't buy anything yesterday, but I am thinking of getting just a few titles (classics like Casablanca and Robin Hood, etc.) that I suspect will not show up on BD for quite a while (2 years or more) due to the backlog in BD production and other scheduling issues as new releases clog up the production lines.

15. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Based on these turn of events, it looks like I'll be picking up a handful of movies at best. But I have to say regular DVD plays absolutely beautiful on this machine. But I hoping to get the rest of the Bourne Trilogy, (Bourne Identity came with the machine), Coming to America (yes I said it) and some action flixs. We'll see I guess.

16. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

You know, it is interesting that you say that because I find myself in a similar situation with respect to Warner Bros. HD DVD exclusives. However, I have heard of two such discs that are already pressed and are in various states of readiness that would seem to alleviate some concern regarding potential BD replication issues. Those two titles being The Adventures of Robin Hood and Casablanca.

I had watched and sold: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Caddyshack, Grand Prix, Mutiny on the Bounty, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory on HD DVD, thinking I could hold off watching them again until the BD counterpart arrived, but now I am less certain. I will be holding onto Casablanca, Excalibur, and Forbidden Planet, which I haven't watched, for the forseeable future.

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I think a lot of those classics are under 25GB so if they're just going to port them over to BD-25, there shouldn't be any production line problems.

18. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I had a $100 gift card from Christmas that I wanted to use up so I picked up Traffic, Field Of Dreams, The Game, Wolf Creek, and The Unforgiven. Not bad for about $65 including tax. Could I have been more patient and found better deals, probably but these discs cost me nothing [​IMG] , plus I sold my DVD versions for the last 4 discs for $20. Recently I pick up Top Gun, The Fast and The Furious, and Trading Places (stunning picture quality in my quick look) for $33 from DDD. I will definitely pick up more HD-DVD Titles if the price is right.