What's new

Cinerama's South Seas Adventure to blu ray? (1 Viewer)

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Yes, that was my first thought as well, Charles. Unless we are all getting a nice film strip of one of the Cinerama panels?
Alistair

But I hope it is the blu-rays that are shipping early!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I just wanted to confuse everybody. :rolleyes: (including myself)

Seriously though, I guess you can put it down to a senior's moment.
Thanks guys.

There's no word yet from Amazon regarding my order for the two.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
HOORAY! I just got Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure in the mail. It's going to be a Cinerama weekend!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine's through Flicker, and I love them dearly, but the one thing that galls me is that their shipments, unlike any other I know, take a good three days to actually get on the road and out of Los Angeles.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The image quality is a little bit on the light side on South Seas, but it's adjustable. Great sharpness, really good joins and fantastic sound. I'm saving the second half for tomorrow night. Lots of extras to watch too!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I can't even find these two titles for order on Amazon. LOL. I guess I'll be ordering directly from Flicker as well. LOL.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
John you are right, I can't seem to find them listed anywhere either.
Maybe Amazon have now decided not to stock them.

However they are both still showing in my Amazon outstanding orders account box.
Release date listed as November 5th.

Hmm, interesting.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine's finally on the east coast, and it looks like I could be seeing it on Monday. :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Watched the second half of South Seas and the restoration video. Dave Strohmeier did an incredible job on this. I can't imagine anyone working with the same deteriorated elements doing any better. Fabulous!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Good News, Amazon has both titles listed again.
They now have the covers displayed as well as a new release day of November 2.

Hopefully mine will be shipped within the next week.
Nearly time to top up the popcorn supplies.

Doug.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I gotta say these releases are a class act. Rather than try watching an entire feature this evening, which wasn't possible, I spent a happy hour browsing through both sets, chapter skipping the films to whet the appetite and watching a couple of the extras. The amount of care taken, and the attention to detail, are obvious from one end to the other.

Thank you, David Strohmaier and everyone involved!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
DVD World USA has not listed these yet, but they did have This isCinerama hope it changes by next week.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm waiting for the three-strip release, with each on a separate disc. I have one projector already so only need two more, and maybe a wider screen. Will the curvature be absolutely necessary?
But seriously, can't wait to get hold of these when Amazon finally makes them easily available, and take a trip back to my childhood when the special Cinerama cinema in the centre of Melbourne was the place to go .. followed by raisin toast and a chocolate frappe next door at Hillier!s. And mabye, on the way back to the Sandringham-line train, I'd pop into Downyflake Donuts for half a dozen cinammon specials, where the huge mural on the wall read "As you go through life, Make this one thing your goal. Keep your eye upon the Donut, and not upon the hole!" ....

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Small World.
You were not alone Anthony.
After the Cinerama Show at the Plaza I had a double flavoured Caramel Malted at Hilliers (best Caramel ever and remember the old lady cashier perched up high, toward the back of the shop) and like you I purchased a couple of Cinnamon donuts at Downyflake on the way to the station and then onto the Sandringham line and exiting at North Brighton.
Those certainly were very uncomplicated and most pleasant times.

This has made me even more excited about these 2 new releases.

ssadv2.jpg

I apologise for the poor quality of the image.
This is a frame from a standard 8mm film I shot of my then girlfriend (now Wife- she's not the one in the grass skirt) standing beside the outside advertising for Cinerama South Seas Adventure in it's original night-time performance at the Plaza in Melbourne.
The 8mm film was shot with an Anamorphic Delrama lens, hence the slight squeeze.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Wow....I have mine and watched them both. They look spectacular!!!! The restoration documentary is fascinating as well.
I hope the rest of the Cinerama are restored like this as well! Any chance of BROTHER"S GRIMM?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ken Koc said:
Wow....I have mine and watched them both. They look spectacular!!!! The restoration documentary is fascinating as well. I hope the rest of the Cinerama are restored like this as well! Any chance of BROTHER"S GRIMM?
Not a chance. Warner has turned down any offered assistance so far. On another note, were all of y'all's ordered from Flicker?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks