What's new

CINERAMA'S BRADFORD ADVENTURE OR, The Wonderful World of Able, Baker & Charlie (1 Viewer)

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Many thanks everyone for your kind comments about my report on the Bradford Widescreen Weekend. I kind of got the impression that many of the people who attend this event care more about seeing these movies in a real cinema than they care about Blu-rays and DVDs. Anyway, I may be wrong . . . but I'd say this about the impending releases of the Cinerama travelogues: I think a lot hinges on the sales figures for the first two titles, This is Cinerama and Windjammer. If they are successful the other titles will follow. I seem to remember Miramax saying the same thing about the Samuel Bronston titles and look what happened to them. I can't help thinking that it might have been more prudent to release all the travelogues in one big bumper boxset.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
AdrianTurner said:
Many thanks everyone for your kind comments about my report on the Bradford Widescreen Weekend. I kind of got the impression that many of the people who attend this event care more about seeing these movies in a real cinema than they care about Blu-rays and DVDs. Anyway, I may be wrong . . . but I'd say this about the impending releases of the Cinerama travelogues: I think a lot hinges on the sales figures for the first two titles, This is Cinerama and Windjammer. If they are successful the other titles will follow. I seem to remember Miramax saying the same thing about the Samuel Bronston titles and look what happened to them. I can't help thinking that it might have been more prudent to release all the travelogues in one big bumper boxset.
Funny I though the same thing that they would sell better together than separately. And I still think Grimm has more commercial appeal and entertainment value than all the travelogues put together. I've seen TIC in Cinerama. It's quaint at best and some scenes are like watching paint dry.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
In the perspective of Flicker Alley, I can see why they are kind of milking them. They are, after all, the most contemporary titles they have released thus far and likely among the most known to the average consumer.
Since FA titles tend to angle more toward the collector and film buff/scholar market, I expect that not that many need to be sold to turn a profit or to be considered a success. These will probably hit the market at $39.99 or more once the release date is passed.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Chas in CT said:
Just pre-ordered the pair!
I was just about to do the same.
But, i have a nagging feeling. Are these 2 sided discs, or separate BD and DVD in the package?
Just need to be sure, cause i HATE the 2 sided combos. Just a hang up i have.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The 3-strip print of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm that was shown at the Bradford theatre is in such bad shape it will probably not be shown at the 60th anniversary in LA.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
RolandL said:
The 3-strip print of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm that was shown at the Bradford theatre is in such bad shape it will probably not be shown at the 60th anniversary in LA.
Interesting thing to say from someone who wasn't there, in direct contradiction to Adrian's report. Again I ask, where do you get that from?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
New Cinerama book coming out...
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2012/70mm_publishers/index.htm
7088df20_Picture7.png

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
NY2LA said:
Interesting thing to say from someone who wasn't there, in direct contradiction to Adrian's report. Again I ask, where do you get that from?
From the people who are doing the 60th anniversary.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
RolandL said:
From the people who are doing the 60th anniversary.
You mean the same people who were so spooked by the unsecured louvers fluttering from the AC in Seattle that they put in a lowgain sheet at the Dome?
It's not like they didn't know this was a 50 year old compiled print back when they announced they were going to show it here. More likely they can't take good enough care of it. If they're going to cancel it they'd better announce it now so people can cancel their plane tickets. I can't see folks flying thousands of miles just for the old travelogues on video and the same two 3-strip prints they've been showing for ten years.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
RickER said:
I was just about to do the same.
But, i have a nagging feeling. Are these 2 sided discs, or separate BD and DVD in the package?
Just need to be sure, cause i HATE the 2 sided combos. Just a hang up i have.
i've never even SEEN the 2-sided combos...Do they exist? :confused:
(When I see "BD+DVD combo", I naturally assume they wanted to package the DVD release that was going to be sold separately.
Although with smaller studios, the idea of a technically "newer" disk seems more attractive.)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
l was at the Bradford screening last week and can confirm that the charlie panel did not match for some of the act one plus the movement was so
bad i thought that it was going to break,also the print is badly warped. The projectionists had watch the take up spool all
the time because of the loose takeup. The sharpness and colour and sound for most i was impressed with.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It sounds like that panel is deteriorating with vinegar syndrome. If that's the case, it will not be runnable on a platter. In fact, most projector heads will have trouble with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ejanss said:
i've never even SEEN the 2-sided combos...Do they exist? :confused:
I think Universal did some maybe two years ago (The Bourne Identity movies?) and I never owned HD DVD but I'm almost positive that Universal did 2 sided discs for a number of their titles. Either way, it never caught on so I think it's very safe to assume that these combos will be a separate Blu-ray and DVD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/320399/cineramas-bradford-adventure-or-the-wonderful-world-of-able-baker-charlie/30#post_3923145
I think Universal did some maybe two years ago (The Bourne Identity movies?) and I never owned HD DVD but I'm almost positive that Universal did 2 sided discs for a number of their titles. Either way, it never caught on so I think it's very safe to assume that these combos will be a separate Blu-ray and DVD.

Yep, my Bourne movies on Blu-ray are all flippers, and The Bourne Ultimatum was an HD-DVD flipper.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
It sounds like that panel is deteriorating with vinegar syndrome. If that's the case, it will not be runnable on a platter. In fact, most projector heads will have trouble with it.
If the print is in very bad shape they might do a 2k or 4K of the 65mm negative. They probably will show it in some form.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
South Seas Adventure at the Bradford Cinerama theatre:
http://www.davidstrohmaier.com/TEST/SSABradfordiPad%20and%20iPhone%204.m4v

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks