Cinema Filter

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Spottedfeather, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    What exactly does a setting called Cinema Filter do ? In the manual, it says...
    Cinema Filter
    Turn this setting on to soften overly bright movie soundtracks, which are typically mixed for
    reproduction in a movie theater.
    What does "soften overly bright movie soundtracks" mean ?

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    "Bright" is a term that usually describes an emphasis on tweeter/high frequencies in a soundtrack. Excessive "brightness" becomes "harsh" to some people.

The filter probably applies some degree of signal processing that "caps" the high end of the frequency response to some degree or another.

Give it a try and see if you like the results.

Generally, though, many of us (myself included) prefer not to use any sort of artificial signal processing or "enhancements" offered by our recievers - instead focusing on reproducing the sound as intended by the sound engineers.

I have fiddled with some DSP (Digital Signal Processing) soundfields when playing concert DVDs - they can add echo and reverb to "simulate" an Arena or Stadium setting. It's interesting, but the novelty wears off quickly, and for the most part, these features NEVER get used on my system any more.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Exactly what JC said...
    Try it and see if you like it.
    I don't use very many "enhancements" either...but I have golden ears. I can tell a lossless Itune from a CD(been tested blindly numerous times).
    It all depends how "prickly" your ears are. If you like CF...use it.

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Cinema sound systems tend to be very mid and low-range heavy. If this is an attempt to replicate that, not interested.