What's new

Cinema Classics: Screwball Comedies on APRIL (1 Viewer)

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Ok so we know extras include Intro with Robert Osborne, is that it? Are there even trailers?

Corey

Screenwriter
ZOMG!!!! I wasn't expecting these films to be released at all. April is gonna be really expensive.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Outstanding news! I'm especially (and happily) surprised that Universal is releasing these individually, rather than in a hodgepodge set. I'm not a big fan of SHE DONE HIME WRONG, but will definitely pick up EASY LIVING, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR and MIDNIGHT.

Hopefully, these will sell reasonably well. If so, I nominate the following for a "Cinema Classics: Screwball Comedies 2" collection (even though these, like the above titles, don't necessarily adhere to a strict definition of "screwball comedy"):

RUGGLES OF RED GAP (1935, Charlie Ruggles & Charles Laughton)
PROFESSOR BEWARE (1938, Harold Lloyd)
REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940, Fred MacMurray & Claudette Colbert)
MURDER, HE SAYS (1945, Fred MacMurray & Marjorie Main)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
My nominations for the next wave would be:

Remember the Night (40)
She Loves Me Not (34) - an hilarious film practically never shown anywhere
The Gilded Lily (35)
The Affairs of Susan (45)

All of these films are truly outstanding and would be great additions to any classic film collection. :)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Remember the night, definetly, is a must be for the next wave of these Universal Cinema Classics.
I don't know if they are going to dedicated that entirely to comedies, if so I would also pick up The Gilded Lily (one of my favorites Colbert movies).
If not it were dedicated to general movies I would like them to release:

- Remember the Night
- To Each his own
- Lady in the Dark
- Hold Back the Dawn

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
I'm just gonna second any vote Remember the Night and Ministry of Fear that I see... the world is an incomplete place without those films on DVD...

and the others that Rafael mentions would be most welcome too!

FrankXS

Second Unit
Remember The Night starred Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. All of these titles are musts for future Universal Classics along with The Uninvited/Blue Dahlia/Ministry of Fear/Marlene Dietrich's titles that aren't on DVD/more Betty Hutton/Five Graves to Cairo/A Foreign Affair/more Bing Crosby. UNIVERSAL START A GOOD THING ......AND THEN CONTINUE IT !!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if we'll ever see ISLAND OF LOST SOULS released as part of this series?

It should've been on DVD years ago, imo.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'd ;ike to see Universal do a "Ladies in Distress" package in the spirit of WB's camp classics last year: Joan Crawford in FEMALE ON THE BEACH, Doris Day in MIDNIGHT LACE, Esther Williams in THE UNGUARDED MOMENT, and Loretta Young in THE ACCUSED.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I would buy this set in a wink - 3 of these are among the titles I most want on DVD!!!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Just a bump to refresh the memory, these will be out soon, so don't forget, people :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I already have them on preorder.:) Thanks for the reminder and if we want the studios to release such titles then we need to continue to purchase them.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks