What's new

Cigar aficianados-Need Humidor help! (1 Viewer)

Leroy

Second Unit
Finally got around to getting myself a humidor for my growing cigar collection (had been keeping most in plain cigar boxes).

I keep reading conflicting methods on how best to hydrate the humidor before I can use it. Some say place a sponge/shotglass/small bowl with distilled water for a few days, others say to speed the process to moisten the cedar with a cloth dampened with distilled water.

Can anyone offer any advice?

BTW, cigarcigar.com has a great deal on a 75 capacity humidor at only $35+shipping. It's the one I got and it is quite nice, comes with hygrometer, humidifier, tray, 3 dividers, nameplate and keylock all lining/tray/dividers are spanish cedar.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I soaked all the cedar inside with distilled water, let it soak into the wood along the base and used a sponge to get the top and sides. Takes about 24-48 hours to really treat the wood.
After that I soak the retainer in distilled water about once a week. Keeps everything right around 72% inside.

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have two humidors and ive never been really satisfied with them - it seems like cigars almost always dry out i did prep the humidors and kept the resevoirs filled with distilled waters). Their not high end models - one is your basic $50 Cedar and the other is slightly nicer and when you close it you can feel the air pressure which usually implies a higher quality humidor. It seems like my humidor kept cigars are never as good as the ones from a local cigar store - i don't have a digital display which i understand is the only really accurate way of measuring humidity but i do keep them filled regularly. anything im doing wrong - maybe my wife is tampering with them to get me to stop smoking?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'm by no means an "aficionado"... but I wanted to know, is there any reason to have a humidor in Florida? I mean, we're always got almost 100% humidity down here and I've just always kept my 'gars in a tupperwear container. Think there would be any benefit to keeping them in a climate-controlled box?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
i don't have a digital display which i understand is the only really accurate way of measuring humidity
A digital will work much better. I ditched my dial model long ago and am much happier with the digital.
I'm actually looking to upgrade my humidor. I want to pick up a 150/200 count. I don't stock too many smokes on hand but once I hit the BIG Smoke in Vegas I'll need a bigger humidor. :)

cleondann

Auditioning
Real Name
cleon
Thanks for the info. I have also a good collection of small and large humidors

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks