What's new

Chuck season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just caught the pilot episode of Chuck on "On-Demand" and I was pleasantly surprised.

As long as you can overlook the whole "computer data in the brain" aspect, and just accept that leap, the show looks like it will be pretty good.

Even though this was the first episode, there seems to be good chemistry between Chuck and the CIA woman (Sarah). The writing and dialog was better than the usual stuff the networks have churned out lately and it had some pretty funny stuff. Overall a pretty effective pilot.

Like I said, there are aspects of the show's premise that are way out there. The way the CIA and NSA operatives just kill each other willy nilly, for one. Even with the this large fictional aspect, I am willing to overlook that, and enjoy the ride.

I will definitely give it a chance this season.

The Pilot airs on NBC next monday.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I found that I didn't much care for the tone of the pilot episode for "Chuck", a show about a nerd who gets imbued with a boatload of data into his brain, making him a walking data store of national secrets. I'd have to see a few more episodes to really see if it was just the pilot episode, or if the show would get into a rut quickly given its premise.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I also enjoyed this pilot too.

I liked all the characters. It was a lot of fun and adventurous at the same time.
I hope there's lots of interaction with his friend Morgan.

I'm just wondering how much material they have and Chuck has in his brain for an entire series or multiple seasons.

I think its funny in the end how John Casey(Adam Baldwin) ends up working undercover at Buy More

A great start to what I hope will be a great show.
In the words of Captain Awesome- "That's awesome!"

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I thought the pilot was okay and I will check out at least a couple more episodes to see where this thing is headed. Conceptually, Chuck owes a debt of gratitude to Greatest American Hero, IMHO... But, what I have seen so far is at least entertaining and held my interest.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Watched the pilot too and to me it's just good silly fun, I thought it was hilarious in spots.

The woman who plays Sarah (YOWZA BTW) is a dead ringer for Naomi Watts IMO.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What amazed me is that I watched this pilot and the pilot for "Bionic Woman" within a day of each other, and that structurally these pilots are almost the same.

Basically, an everyday civillian is imbued with government "powers" which the operatives in charge of the program threaten to lock them up for, only to be slapped down by the civillian as wanting to be in control of their own lives.

Of the two, "Chuck" was the much better pilot with far more endearing characters and a style that didn't take itself too seriously. "Bionic Woman" was a little too maudlin and although the Katee Sackhoff character might be interesting, they blurted out her character's ticks in dialoge rather than showing it over the course of a few episodes. I love BSG but will need a few more episdodes to be convinced to stick with it.

"Chuck" I'm pretty much sold on for the season.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also caught the pilot of this as a give-away from Circuit City when I purchased a TV series DVD. Since this show is from the same guy that created The O.C. I am going to give this series a couple of more views.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This was one of my more anticipated pilots of the season and I was disappointed yesterday when I caught it on HD On Demand. I'll give it a few more episodes and hope it improves.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
Thought Chuck was great...Hilaious in Spots...it's Sci Fi, not reality, so I don't know why people cannot grasp the concept of the show without saying how unrealistic it is...its a fun fantasy sci fi nerdy geek comedy...SOLD!!! Immediately my new favorite show

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
So far, this is the best Pilot I have seen, and look forward to more.

A spy-type of show that can't be taken seriously.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
She reminded me of a cross between Christine Taylor and Becki Newton from "Ugly Betty". I second the Yowza.:)

If the subsequent episodes can keep up the style, energy, and humor of the pilot I'll be a happy camper.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I was already liking it a lot before they gave us that last shot of Adam Baldwin in Buy More, which just cracked me up. That is going to be comedy gold.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I loved the pilot. Yowza dittos! Here getting ready for the date?!!? Wow!

I'm enjoying the pop-culture references, as well.

I'm in for the season.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Speaking of "floating in the background," all of the "Buy More" store adverts had me on the floor rolling, especially the one that's seen when Sarah leaves by way of the store entrance -- something like:
"When you buy more, you save more.

"And when you save more, you can buy more.

"And when you buy more, you save more.

"It all starts when you BUY MORE."

I loved how the show placed hilarious, utterly repetitive, drilled-into-your-head shit like that deep in the background, rather than out in the open in a massively obvious way, making you catch it on a double-take.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I had heard there was going to be a new show called "Chuck" starting before Heroes. I didn't read anything about it but thought "what the heck, I'll give it a blind try". Well, I'm hooked 100%! I love how quirky, nerdy and unrealistic it is and hope they don't make it too serious. It was a fun show. My Monday's are now booked solid.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the pilot and will definitely be catching the next episode.

I’ll have to concur that the last scene with Bladwin as a store employee had me laughing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I didn't know too much about the show, even after going to Comic-Con this year. When my friend told me the "Geek Squad" is called "Nerd Herd" I had to check it out and I wasn't disappointed. Now I'm glad I snagged one of the posters at the convention.

The spy lady reminds me of Christine Taylor more than anyone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was surprisingly, awesomely crazy! I loved it!

The terrible previews this summer completely mis-sold and mis-represented the quality of the show. I'm really glad I taped the pilot (watched it tonight). I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can keep up the energy and the surprises!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

That's exactly what I was thinking, only I think this gal's better looking than Taylor.

Fun show, I'll be tuning in...

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I watched the first episode based on the strength of Tom Shale's review in the Washington Post. I'm glad I did. A nice show that provides a good lead-in to "Heroes". NBC now has my eyeballs for at least two hours on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks