What's new

Chrome just shot to awesome (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Chrome just sank to suck. It doesn't do RSS. I'm done with it.

(Nothing in Help. No apparent menu options. It didn't import my Firefox RSS bookmarks. No obvious toolbar buttons for RSS. No obvious RSS shortcuts. If it does RSS, it hides it well.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How's that?

Now I'm very curious why people like Chrome? What does it do better than other browsers?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I use Safari on Mac, but Chrome on Windows. I've had situations where a bad tab would take out all of Firefox, which the process-per-tab nature of Chrome should handle better. It also seems a little snappier, but not by much. There are several plusses and minuses to the UI compared to Firefox -- roughly a wash.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I don't have any problems with Chrome. I just don't have any reason to leave FF. I don't hate Safari either but there really isn't anything in Safari that I have to have over Firefox. All load web pages, etc. the same as far as speed goes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Downloaded the latest Chrome. Extensions are working now, but it still lacks a "LastTab" equivalent.

Despite the synthetic benchmarks showing Chrome twice as fast as Firefox, in practice, I don't notice any real difference in loading e.g. HTF or Facebook. Moreover, Firefox feels faster about half the time.

I should give it time to see if it lacks the Firefox "feature" of consuming 100% of the CPU at times.

(edit in Chrome for behavior check)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm concerned that Firefox is causing Kernel panics on my MBP, so I'm forcing myself to switch browsers for a while :) I'm spending my time in Chrome, with some dabbling in Safari 5. I've got one immediate Chrome question:

How do you create RSS bookmarks, like in Firefox? I want a live bookmark to show me the RSS feed from e.g. MacWorld.com. I really like that feature in FF, because I don't use RSS enough to want to bother with a secondary reader or reader website.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The Find (Command-F) is find-as-you-type. There is no old school "type and then find". The Done button dismisses the Find banner.

Plain old Undo will undo closing a tab. It does go into the regular undo stack, though, so if do stuff in the meantime (like typing), that will be undone as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I have to hit Cmd-F first, it's not find-as-you-type :) Hoping for an extension to come out, then.

Good Undo tip -- I didn't know that.

Safari doesn't seem to do RSS like Firefox does either. Maybe I'm just used to FF, but it it seems to have much better UI and more little amenities to be easily usable. But I'm plodding along in Chrome, learning to use it.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Oh, gotcha. But an old school Find dialog would be worse -- they've gone half way.

I wonder if there's some UX consistency argument: if focus happens to be in a control, and some sites try to put it there when the pages loads, then typing goes into the control; but if not then it searches. That's not consistent....

Firefox (dunno about other browsers) has a handy Search Through Links by hitting slash first. Then what you type only searches through link text on the page. Handy for navigating sites with only a keyboard.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ken Chan

Oh, gotcha. But an old school Find dialog would be worse -- they've gone half way.

I wonder if there's some UX consistency argument: if focus happens to be in a control, and some sites try to put it there when the pages loads, then typing goes into the control; but if not then it searches. That's not consistent....
It probably isn't consistent, but once you're used to it, it sure is handy :) The live search is much better than the old IE6 method of using a Find pane -- which is the recourse at work, where we are lashed to IE6 and WinXP.

I'm also used to FF's RSS "live" bookmarks. Safari's approach, loading the RSS feed into a page is workable, though not nearly as convenient for me. Chrome doesn't even try to deal with RSS: you have to use a secondary reader.

This is a hard switch. FF is much more usable and powerful for my tastes. I wish I could eliminate it as the source of my crashes, because I'd like to switch back. But right now, a loss of features is outweighed by fear of these recurring Kernel Panics.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another Chrome question: Is there a way to have it update passwords? It doesn't recognize when I type in a revised password into an auto-completed field, and doesn't ask if it should update it (as FF does and I think Safari and IE also).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks