What's new

Chrome just shot to awesome (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you guys haven't seen Google's Chrome it is the first browser that has me completely forgetting IE. It's like the best parts of Safari and Firefox rolled into one, and I can't wait to get this on the Mac side as well as my PC. In fact, it's so similar to Safari but better, I hope Safari actually migrates TO it!

Google Chrome - Download a new browser

Sam

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Ha - I forgot about IE ages ago...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's so much like Safari on Vista that the UserCP drop down menu on HTF doesn't work for Chrome as well. Oddly enough, it works on Safari for the Mac. Any ideas? Works on IE and Firefox on Vista...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Next thing I hear, you'll be finding an improvement over your Bose speakers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep I am, and yep it sucks. :D

Chrome is still a beta so let's hope they iron it out before long!

[Edit] I've just reported it as a bug via Chrome, I'd encourage others to do the same.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry, havent been a Firefox fan. Tho I do love Thunderbird! But the light memory footprint and the excellent tab implementation plus the minimalistic design in Chrome give me what I wanted from FF or any other option over IE =) And no Bose here =p

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Chrome is built on WebKit from Apple so it should be stable and quick. I tried installing it at work but it keeps crashing during the install so I'm not sure what that's about. Still I'm a die hard FireFox user so we'll see if its good enough to get me to switch. That said I use a number of pluggins with FF so until there's something similar for Chrome there's little to to chance of me switching.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Over a year later and Chrome Beta for OSX is just really getting cooking. The good news is that the best extensions (Foxmarks, Cooliris, Adblockers) are all ready to go and should be on OSX within weeks as well.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/10/chrome-firefox/

I'm still using Firefox 3.5.5 as my main browser but I'm keeping an eye on Chrome just for the speed advantages it promises, which FF can't match.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm still on firefox but pulling for OSX Chrome to keep adding new features. Good news on that front:
http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Google_Chrome_for_Mac_Now_Supports_Extensions

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm a Firefox man. The single most important feature is the "LastTab" extension causes clicking on a tab to toggle to the previously viewed tab. Well, and now the eBay toolbar extension.

Do Safari or Chrome or other have similar extensions? I would look at other browsers if they had the UI improvements; conversely I'll never leave FF until other browsers have its same level of user-modified awesomeness :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They are out of beta now and well received. I'm still sticking with Firefox for now, we'll see how long that lasts...
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/01/hands-on-extensions-give-chrome-a-lift-as-version-4-arrives.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=Main%20Account&utm_campaign=microblogging

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the Ars article on extensions. I need to give Chrome a go. I like Firefox, but it's a hog at times, revving up the CPU usage and the fans on my MBP.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've been using the latest Chrome for Mac (well before my hard drive died). I'm a longtime Mozilla fan and user but with an ad blocking extension added, Chrome is pretty sweet. The time just might come when I make the switch permanently.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm running both now with the same batch of extensions (Xmarks, Colored Tabs, Flashblock, Adblock) and while I prefer Firefox's UI, especially for tabs, Chrome 'feels' faster.... But mostly I could be happy with either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Concerned that Firefox is causing Kernel Panics, I need to switch browsers for a while. Needing to change, and already knowing I don't care for Safari, I'm now using Chrome about 75% at home. First opinion: I miss Firefox :) Chrome has tabs in weird places, the buttons look like crude, it doesn't search when you type, and I'm not seeing its alleged speed.

But I'll give it some time and see if it grows on me.

What are good extensions for Chrome?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Second impression: extensions don't work. I installed LastTab and it did nothing (love it for Firefox). I then tried TabsPlus and it did nothing. Neither had any options. I don't get it. Is there a magic trick to make extensions work?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm not a fan of chrome right now.

Still seems clunky to me compared to ff.
Although I seem to be having some ff trouble since the most recent update.
Once I get more the 5 or 6 tabs open ff slows down and I get a lot of little color wheels spinning.

Also on chrome I don't see a status bar, the thing on the bottom of browsers that indicates the progress of the web page loading up and on ff indicates web site addresses when you hover over a link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks