What's new

CHRISTMAS STORY 16x9 with Peter Billingsley commentary (1 Viewer)

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Warner,
I have not bought this DVD for one simple reason...it's not the original aspect ratio. It's a special movie indeed...if you release it like it should have been released the 1st time (16:9 anamorphic), I guaranteee you I'll buy it - that's a promise.
John
P.S. - And I'm not sure who loves turkey more...'The Old Man' or me :)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I was so disappointed to find that the currently released DVD does not present the film in its OAR. I didn't buy it, but would pick up a copy in a second if it were OAR and anamorphic. Extra features would be fantasic!
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com

Glennica

Agent
I would have preordered this title back in 1999 if Warner had only released it in widescreen!
How much longer will we have to wait? Instead of fixing their mistakes, they are releasing more and more DVDs without their OAR.

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Me too. I won't buy the current version. Same deal as Princess Bride, which I'm eagerly awaiting for next Tuesday!
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I love this movie as well but can't bring myself to buy the crappy version that's out there now. Please do it right and re-release it.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Put me down as one more who would buy this if it were ever done properly. Great movie.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I had this disc in hand at Best Buy last Christmas when I noticed that it wasn't OAR. I can watch that version for free on TNT or TBS. One of those stations always has the 24 hour marathon every Christmas. I would gladly buy this disc if was properly presented though. I also think that the commentary is a great idea.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot even tell you how many times I have seen this DVD in Best Buy or elsewhere and passed on it--because it is not in the film's original aspect ratio. I'd be happy with just a widescreen release, but obviously this classic deserves some amount of special treatment along with a new transfer.
------------------
Dustin A. Davis '94
Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Link Removed
"But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
I have to concur...
The current "Christmas Story" DVD is full-frame and poor quality at that. I'd buy a 16x9 widescreen version in a minute.
David

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have this DVD
blush.gif
(please don't ask).
It's the only non-OAR disc I need to replace.
C'mon Warner, OAR & anamorphic. I double dog dare ya!

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. Looks like I'm ressurecting an old thread:) I currently have a VHS copy of ACS which we watched last night. This being the first VHS I've watched since buying DVDs, over a year ago, I noticed the framing looked crowded in most of the scenes. Darn I wish this were re-released. Who has an online petition for this movie? If we could do it with Willy Wonka, we can do it with this classic. In the meantime, I will support the widescreen version by not buying the current DVD release.

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
I am also resisting temptation as I know the MAR version will just disappoint me. If there is ever a OAR release I'd buy it in an instant.

Vanessa

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A Christmas Story is one of the 1997/1998 "early discs"

MGM originally released it and WB simply repackaged it in a snapper (with different cover). There's a good bit of MGM-produced DVD's in WB cases now because of the Turner-WB merger.

My copy of 2001 is the MGM version in MGM case, but my Westworld DVD is the MGM in a snapper (although it's anamorphic 2.35:1...but an average print.)

I also believe that ACS is a full frame film, so at least it's only open matte (as if that's actually better...)

I'd buy an SE too...I try to avoid most of the Turner-owned films released by MGM from the "early days" due to the sad fact that most are simply laserdisc transfers with minimal extras.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Funny story:
Before I decided to get my DVD player back in 98, I spent some time thinking about the option. I recall having a conversation with my girlfriend and I said that one of the only titles I could think of that I would want to own in a permanent format like dvd would be A Christmas Story.
500 DVDs in the collection later, and I don't own A Christmas Story (to be fair it was the 3rd title I bought, saw the insane wavy picture, and traded it away).
I would buy this- and I'm suprised Warner hadn't thought of a SE before now. Seems like a no brainer to me- everyone loves this film, and most film collector types would buy it bare bones anamorphic. Add in some bonus features, and I think most DVD player owners would pick it up!
-Vince

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"I'd buy an SE too...I try to avoid most of the Turner-owned films released by MGM from the "early days" due to the sad fact that most are simply laserdisc transfers with minimal extras."

There WAS a widescreen laserdisc of this, so you can't even say that about this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks