Christmas LED Lights Out?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Johnny Angell, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Discovered two strings with a bunch, but not all lights, out. Did a little online research. Could be a fuse problem. I had to go online just to figure out how to open up the door on the plug. Replaced the fuses. Didn't fix the problem. I'm wondering if the fuses have a specific direction they go in? The damn things are small and it's difficult to tell.

Then I find some info that indicates if one led goes out, all the bulbs in that circuit (there are usually two) go out. This is news to me as I had thought that if one bulb was bad, the others would still work. Guess not.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think if it was a fuse issue, all your lights would be out. When only one section is out, it's usually a bulb or wiring issue.

I'm not an expert on LED lights, but I assume they have many of the same issues as regular incandescent Christmas lights. Do you have a spare bulb? If it's a bulb issue, you might need to go bulb-by-bulb through the section that's off to try and find the bad bulb.

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Most LED light strings are in series in order to maximize the voltage drop so as to minimize the current needed to light all the bulbs. So, yeah, when one goes out, the rest in the circuit do, too. If the bulbs are replaceable, go bulb-by-bulb until you find the bad one.

Stan likes this.
  4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    A batch of these were on sale a few weeks ago. To check the wiring I plugged one in and pulled a bulb. When 15 went out...it went back on the shelf.

5. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Thank you "Sheldon". Speak in English next time (just kidding).

We're not all electrical engineers, most of us are just regular nerds.

BrianW likes this.
  6. jamestella

jamestella New User

jamestella
    LED lights rae important part of our life as some ofthe images that Ima showing from web guide how imortant they are as that is why they are called the Best Energy Saving Lights

Let Get How more important they are as help toimprove our living ability ,,,....Havelook these images..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A beautiful Gift is always part of special ocassion that remembers always try to give a tree on such ocassion to make our environment more eco-friendly

7. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    I haven't had much luck with LED Christmas lights, I;ve lost every set I've owned. The ambient lighting for my home theater is LED and haven't had any issues there. Not quite sure why I have the issues with the Christmas lights

8. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Most likely due to the harsher environment that the lights operate in. An electrician friend of mine bought a bunch of the things. When they quit working after a year or two, he just threw them out and went back to regular incandescent bulbs. The hassle of trying to find a burned out LED in a series wired string wasn't worth the trouble of finding it.

9. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    That makes sense. I'm probably going to stick away from LED Christmas lights for outdoors for now