What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Oh, I did and know what I'm in for. Frankly, it wouldn't take much to improve upon the non-anamorphic DVD.
Konstantinos said:
You're very quick! ;)

I usually search and search for reviews, screenshots etc. before I buy anything, and make absolutely sure that it's a transfer I like.

Anyway, here's a short "review":

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=7503908&postcount=44

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mark Walker said:
I thought all the Xmas titles I love were on Blu-ray. Then I realized that one film I watch every year with my mom is still on lowly DVD with a crummy transfer to boot:

While You Were Sleeping

81oa0xjeCyL._SL1500_.jpg

Why is this an Xmas film? Well, it starts on December 24th and ends (minus the last few minutes) on or around New Year's Day.

She decorates her tree (and even tried pulling it up through the window of her apartment).

As far as rom coms go, this one is well written, still funny, and with solid performances, with Sandra B becoming a star as a result.

I had forgotten that this is a Christmas/New Year film. Many thanks. I'll watch the DVD again in the next few days. It was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a Christmas film that really needs an HD release:

The Nativity Story from 2006.

This film is another of the films my wife and I watch nearly every Christmas season. It looks "okay" on DVD...but each year I wonder how beautiful its 2.35:1 image might look in 1080p. And it sounds great...with lots of LFE (horse's hooves, drums, etc.) and a dynamic musical score.

The-Nativity-Story.jpg

nativity.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Mark Collins said:
Going My Way

Richard Williams Christmas Carol

Would buy both of those in a heartbeat!

cinemiracle said:
and watchable copies of THIS IS CINERAMA and WINDJAMMER

ok don't see the Christmas connection there, and having both releases from Flicker Alley, I am wondering what you are looking for both have beautiful presentations. Actualy been a while, and would love another CINERAMA title to be releases, TWWOTBG would be my wish list.

as for Christmas movie, my hope is the same now as it was pages back, That Fox would release O'Henry's Full House on blu stateside, just for the gift of the magi such a great vignette.

yimitz

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Mike Frezon said:
Here's a Christmas film that really needs an HD release:

The Nativity Story from 2006.

This film is another of the films my wife and I watch nearly every Christmas season. It looks "okay" on DVD...but each year I wonder how beautiful its 2.35:1 image might look in 1080p. And it sounds great...with lots of LFE (horse's hooves, drums, etc.) and a dynamic musical score.

The-Nativity-Story.jpg

nativity.jpg

The Nativity Story is available on Blu-ray.

yimitz

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Mike Frezon said:
Holy crow! How did I miss that?!? And released two years ago to boot!

And, Amazon has it in stock for $9.96. Ordered.

Thanks...and merry Christmas, Jim! :biggrin:

Merry Christmas to you too.

My wife and I watched it again this afternoon, it's one of our favorites.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
http://kidscreen.com/2015/12/17/the-jim-henson-company-remasters-christmas-classics/

The Jim Henson Company has remastered two of its classic Christmas movies — Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas and The Bells of Fraggle Rock — which aired as part of ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas. [...]

The main goals in remastering the titles were to boost screen resolution to high-definition, format for wide-screen, clean up contrast, sharpen lines and improve the colors for a more accurate look.

One thing Henson didn’t have to touch was the sound, which had retained its original fidelity. The imagery represented the biggest challenge. Video cameras used at the time were less sophisticated and did not capture white against black and high-contrast lines very well, Henson says. But thanks to advancements in technology, it was only a minor obstacle to overcome. “The whole process of the computer analysing the image and sharpening it to an HD resolution, using sophisticated algorithms, is very impressive,” he adds.

Could this mean that Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas could make it to Bluray?

Although I would hope it's not cropped to widescreen..

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, it seems this year was very frustrating for Christmas films. :(

well, it seems the same applies for this year?
Apart from Black Christmas which I hope is a new scan and great transfer so that i can finally buy it, i don't see anything else announced.
At least regarding pre-1990 films which are my main interest.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Konstantinos said:
So, it seems this year was very frustrating for Christmas films. :(
Apart from Black Christmas which I hope is a new scan and great transfer so that i can finally buy it, i don't see anything else announced.
With the 70th Anniversary IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) Blu-ray being yet another repackaging of the now 10 year old '06 transfer, and Renown apparently NOT releasing their 1951 A CHRISTMAS CAROL 2K restoration to Blu-ray (Despite releasing this same restoration to DVD!), which had been originally planned last year, I'm sadly inclined to agree! :(

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
One thing that would be nice for 2017, if the rights and condition of the available materials allow for it, would be if Olive Films or Kino were to release the Paramount/Republic library title, The Cheaters (1945)... one of those well-made little Christmas films, like Remember the Night (1940) and Holiday Affair (1949), which hasn't really gotten its due.

CHEATERS+data.jpg

oKpgwPZRjIhpm5rNBX4yNPk7NJA.jpg

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Olive released the 1947 "Christmas Eve" on Blu-Ray early this year, and last year's little crop of new Christmas movies ("Love The Coopers", "The Night Before", "Krampus", and "A Christmas Horror Story") were all on Blu-Ray by the spring. I'm wondering if the Bill Murray Christmas special is coming to video at all.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I just learned that Prancer from my initial wishlist is coming from Shout (I see you've already started a thread about this)
91tBe%2B9qsnL._SX385_.jpg

And also this, that I haven't ever heard of. I see it's a TV movie. Is it good?
91O%2B81dPhWL._SX385_.jpg

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Just felt like summarizing the few pre-1995 Christmas films that are already released this month and will be released till the end of the year.

Shout: Prancer, Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus
Kino: I'll be Seeing you

Hmmm.. thought they were more.
Still so many great Chistmas films not relased. I guess they aren't big sellers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still so many great Chistmas films not relased. I guess they aren't big sellers.

Seems like that wouldn't be true...given how special sections exist in nearly all stores (regardless of their commitment to home video software) for Christmas movies. I've always figured that there's a lot of impulse buying that goes with holiday features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks