What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Marvin said:
Not technically a Christmas "film" I guess, but I'd love it if they'd release a Blu-ray version of "Judy Collins: Christmas at the Biltmore Estate."
That's a unique one, and very nice. Count me in, and can I add that Ms. Collins and I share a May 1st birthday?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, it seems this year was very frustrating for Christmas films. :(

Apart from a couple of remasters (Grinch, Christmas vacation) and some repackages of Rankin-Bass TV specials, I see no other release of older Christmas films!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
There's a new Glen Campbell TV Christmas Special DVD, and that's about it. There are still plenty of older Christmas films not even on DVD, let alone on Blu-Ray, including one of my all-time favourites from 1984 "Comfort And Joy". I have it on VHS, and I transferred it to a home-made DVD, but it's such a beautifully-shot movie (by the great Chris Menges) that it would make a wonderful Blu-Ray.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
davidmatychuk said:
There are still plenty of older Christmas films not even on DVD, let alone on Blu-Ray, including one of my all-time favourites from 1984 "Comfort And Joy". I have it on VHS, and I transferred it to a home-made DVD, but it's such a beautifully-shot movie (by the great Chris Menges) that it would make a wonderful Blu-Ray.
There is a PAL DVD of it, and I assume it would have much better quality than the VHS.

I'm trying to find a trailer but I can't.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I've actually heard that the UK DVD of "Comfort And Joy" isn't very good, though it has a commentary track. I saw it in the theatre, and it was gorgeous.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I just want a good copy of Richard Williams' Christmas Carol. I have a 1080p copy I got from YouTube but it was kind of a beat-up 16mm print and, being YouTube, the bitrate isn't good. It's such a great version of the story and, being an Oscar winner, it's a shame it has pretty much disappeared.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Just bought The Original Christmas Classics at Target for $14.99.

811BB6-rE3L._SL1500_.jpg

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
DP 70 said:
I always watch Scrooge (1970) shame the Overture is only on the DVD, so lets have a new BD.
Since the Blu-Ray came out, I always play the overture on the DVD, then switch over to the Blu-Ray. I'm not sure if that makes me a nut. Okay, it does make me a nut, but I'm my kind of nut.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
RolandL said:
Just bought The Original Christmas Classics at Target for $14.99.

may I ask something:

In the old set Frosty Returns was in SD.

It's the same here?

Also, The little Drummer Boy and Cricket on the Hearth are SD or HD?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
Since the Blu-Ray came out, I always play the overture on the DVD, then switch over to the Blu-Ray. I'm not sure if that makes me a nut. Okay, it does make me a nut, but I'm my kind of nut.

Hi David!

Casual collectors always seem to ask "Why keep multiple copies?" Your scenario for SCROOGE (1970) is a good example of why!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm also curious which specials are in HD and which are SD. I know Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa Claus are in HD but what about the others? Looks like Magoo was also released on Blu-ray, so that's likely HD as well. AFAIK, the other specials have never been released in HD. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they haven't been now, either. It's not a deal-breaker as that's still a great price. I only own Rudolph in HD, so I may be making a trip to Target.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Konstantinos said:
Well, one old Christmas film is coming to Bluray from Olive in January.

143734_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17919
First of all, I've had this recorded from TCM on the hard drive of my HDD/DVD recorder for several years, and I'm glad there's a disc coming.

Secondly, January 19 means it's perfect for January "Little Christmas" viewing (you can follow my "Little Christmas" ramblings on this HTF thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/338213-what-are-you-watching-on-little-christmas-the-25th-of-each-month/ )

Thirdly, it's a pretty good movie, if a bit all over the place tonally; nothing us Christmas nuts would have a problem with. Here's IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039266/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Fourthly, and finally, for all of us Eugene Pallette fans, can we finally have the 1945 Christmas classic "The Cheaters"?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Konstantinos said:
may I ask something:

In the old set Frosty Returns was in SD.

It's the same here?

Also, The little Drummer Boy and Cricket on the Hearth are SD or HD?

They look pretty good and the signal from the Blu-ray is 1080p but how would I know if its SD or HD?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
RolandL said:
They look pretty good and the signal from the Blu-ray is 1080p but how would I know if its SD or HD?
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I am not sure how you confirm something that is upscaled from SD.

By eye?

I guess then they look like the other HD animations with grain and aren't blurry like DVD quality?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Cricket on the Hearth has lots grain, none of them are blurry. But that's just me. Maybe to someone else they are not clear enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks