What's new

Christmas films Blu-ray wishlist (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have always "hated" Christmas. I was born the day after and all the relatives...on my B-day...

"Good morning, happy birthday...have a great day, see you next year"...(as they are walking out to their cars)

Didn't help my aunt was born Christmas day...

And several others born in December...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I was 11 when "The Partridge Family" hit the airwaves. Yes I had it bad for Susan Dey (stole her pics out of my sister's "16" Magazine and on my wall they went). But oh did I want Shirley Jones to be my mom.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Kyrsten Brad said:
Brad here. I was 11 when "The Partridge Family" hit the airwaves. Yes I had it bad for Susan Dey (stole her pics out of my sister's "16" Magazine and on my wall they went). But oh did I want Shirley Jones to be my mom.
I'm sure then that you are a big fan of Ms. Dey in "Looker"!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kyrsten Brad said:
Got it on DVD and hoping soon for a Blu release. Also hoping for a Blu release of First Love.
SusanDey1.jpg

SusanDey_Today.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
ABaglivi said:
A guilty pleasure: Jingle All The Way.
It was a lot of fun until they ruined it with that misbegotten ending. It's as if toward the end somebody told Ivan Reitman, "Ruin this picture or we'll kill everyone you know!"

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
bgart13 said:
Unfortunately, I doubt Hen's Tooth will upgrade it. No idea who has rights in the UK. I think it was a Canadian production, no?
Canadian/Welsh, and a very fine production. Hen's Tooth's DVD is the best version I've seen.
Unfortunately, think only video-broadcast sources of the Carroll Ballard/Maurice Sendak Nutcracker: the Motion Picture (1986) remain at MGM, so we'll just have to settle for that MOD DVD. :(I had this on VHS, then the same transfer on laserdisc (still not widescreen), then a couple of years ago I bought it on iTunes which was an improvement visually but the audio was weak by comparison to the laserdisc, and then last year I went for the MGM MOD DVD (I just wanted to type "MGM MOD DVD") which is better in every way than the iTunes version, especially the audio.
[/QUOTE]

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

Here's my most-desired Christmas Blu-Ray (I usually mention "Comfort And Joy" but I'm pretending I don't care any more, to trick Universal Home Video into sneaking it out there). "Carols For Christmas" is an hour-long program of music from 1985, arranged and conducted by Sir David Willcocks, who compiled a songbook of the same name for the Metropolitan Museum Of Art, who reciprocated by contributing an array of Christmas-related art and images from their collection. Aled Jones and Gerald Finley are featured. It is superb. The booklet you see came with the original VHS tape, and I kept it when I got the laserdisc in 1993, and put it in Kultur's very good DVD from a few years ago. Needless to say, a Blu-Ray would be more than welcome, especially for the art. Which brings me to this: I'll scan and post the pages of the booklet here if anyone has the DVD or laserdisc and would like the complete, detailed list of every piece of art and music in the program. I've played this video in the background while we open gifts every Christmas morning for over twenty years.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Paul Scott said:
The Silent Partner
Wow, I was going to add that one, was reading through the posts just to see if it was "appropriate" or not...it's sure looks like more of a "Christmas movie" than Die Hard anyway! A little bit more...

I had just moved to TO in late '78, just before this was filmed by the look of it, first time permanently living away from home. It is quite nostalgic, those were great times for me as TO was cookin' then, it is very realistic looking, and even some sections of the streets still look the same (purposely, for movies?).

The DVD is decent so a hi-def film scan could probably look quite fine without a lot of work. Great performances etc., this movie should be seen a lot more IMO.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
classicmovieguy said:
Deanna Durbin's "Lady on a Train" is technically also a Christmas film.
So is Christmas Holiday where Deanna Durbin co-starred with Gene Kelly. No, it's not a musical although Deanna does sing - quite splendidly - two songs: Spring Will be A Little late This Year and Always.

I'd love Christmas Holiday to be restored and released on Blu-ray disc. It won't happen but, in the words and title of another great song, I Can Dream, Can't I?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I watched Christmas Holiday split into nine parts on YouTube a few months ago. Even in that infuriating condition, I enjoyed seeing it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks