What's new

Chris Tucker May Leave Hollywood After Filming "Rush Hour 3" To Fight AIDS In Africa (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And of course, there are those who will say, "Good riddance". :)

I'm not one of those. I think he's done a good job limiting himself to roles that work best for him, and not overexposing himself.

Course, I question the validity of this story, since the sources seem to be a student newspaper, and the National Enquirer. If it is true, then more power to him. It is nice to have the money to be able to chuck it all for charity work.

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, he was a $20M actor (deservedly so...he always would bring people to the theater). And he didn't take most of the roles (and bags of money) offered to him. He seems to have been focusing on Africa a lot of the past few years, so good for him.

A shame for the filmgoer, as I do think he's a funny guy, and he's made every movie he's been in more enjoyable. Kudos to him...I bet he's fairly serious about it.

Take care,
Chuck

Pete-D

Screenwriter
He'll be back... they all come crawling back ;)

Seriously though, it's not like he couldn't go back to Africa, work for 3-4 months in Hollywood, and collect a $20 million dollar cheque.

Infact, that'd probably help the AIDS cause in Africa moreso if he were willing to use the money (or a good chunk of it) from future movies he makes to fund research/awareness.

His best role hands down was in Friday IMO.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I suppose he may be missed. This does answer the question of his whereabouts in the last 3 years though.

My question is how would he fight AIDS? He's a comedic actor. Will he spend the time making people laugh?

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Yeah, you know if I were afflicted with AIDS in Africa, I'd probably rather see Chris Tucker continue to work in Hollywood and then cash those $20 million cheques for research/drugs rather than having him around as a high profile volunteer.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The student newspaper credits The Associated Press for the article.

william-scooter

Stunt Coordinator
I think I gotta go with Pete-D's take. If he wanna help write a check for research. What is he gonna do in Africa to fight Aids as admirable as it might be. He may be trying the serious cause approach to garner serious roles. Best of luck to him whatever contribution he plans.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So his next movie is Rush Hour 3?

What was his last movie? Rush Hour 2, right? And what was the movie he made before that? Rush Hour?

I agree with Pete-D as well. I admire Tucker's dedication, but he can be more effective if he spends some of his time in Hollywood.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Maybe Tucker thinks he can more helpful as a spokesman and being present. Good for him for DOING something instead of simply writing a few checks.

Take care,
Chuck

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
In our immunology class, we were shown three comic strips depicting the war against the HIV virus. The first two were darkly comic (one was talking about only getting a stamp in honor of the dead victims).

The third one nearly put tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. It showed a kid laying on its side, and I'll never forget those eyes. No matter how you look at it, HIV is a serious problem, and it's very unfortunate that you can't even implement the simplest solution (which is not abstinence btw).

:emoji_thumbsup: to Chris Tucker. I like him as a comedian and comedic actor, and I'm starting to like him as a humanitarian. You guys remember when he won the MTV award (for something) and talked about the problems in Africa in his acceptance speech?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I do. I must admit it sounded a bit like posturing to me. It was very obvious that he was sincere about it, it was just not the right forum. He barely acknowledged the award. It put a serious damper on everyone's mood and was quickly forgotten.

I will also side with Pete, with the reservation that Mr. Tucker probably knows far more about AIDS in Africa than any of us, and is in a better position to judge the best way to help. Still, from where I stand, I can't see it, and would like to know more.

--
H

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Prior to this, I didn't know anything about Tucker beyond his movies. My opinion of him just shot up. A lot.

Although I am still a little torqued about him using swear words in a Jackie Chan movie. Some things you just dont do! ;)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Rush Hour 2 was crap because IMHO they let Chris Tucker take center stage, and run off at the mouth. He's annoying as all get out. I can only take him in small doses. Plus, it didn't help that the story just plain sucked.

Hopefully RH 3 will be vastly superior.

On another note, I think this is a very courageous move on his part and I wish him the best.

Dan

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I read a long time ago he wasn't in Next Friday because they didn't give him the amount of money he asked for, and so they had to crush his character off with some lame blanket.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks