What's new

Chris Rock...hosting the Oscars? This I want to see...:-) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Because the bulk of the people who watch this tune in for a show that's supposed to entertaining. Not dry and boring with award after award being given out with piss poor acceptance speeches inbetween. A 3-4 hour show with a bunch or rich actors being rewarded with no levity and no self deprication would smack of self congratulations. The general public isn't a fan of that.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see someone like John Travolta host the awards. Someone who is well-liked, classy, and has a sense of humor. Plus he is a two-time nominee.

Lee Ford

Agent

Well, Billy Crystal was barely 43 the first time he hosted the Oscars, and Chris Rock will be 39 next year...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy Crystal and Martin, despise Whoopi with a passion, and think Chris Rock is a fascinating decision. It doesn't seem to quite fit, but I'll look forward to seeing how he does.

Bu the way, can anyone explain to me just why Letterman failed so much at the Oscars? I don't think I saw that year, and I'm just wondering why he wouldn't work as a host.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot of Dave's failure had to do with the fact that some of the film community look down on television stars (even though they go on his show to publicize their films.) His sarcastic sense of humor did not translate well, especially in a year when the majority of nominated films were indies.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
He's hilarious but Stupid Pet Tricks had absolutely no relevance to a movie awards ceremony.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

i guess in your opinion chris rock is not well liked, classy, or has a sense of humor? :rolleyes

as is often the problem here at htf, people tend to criticize without any information with which to support an argument.

perhaps we can judge his performance as an academy awards host after he actually completes his hosting duties. i am looking forward to seeing how he does.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Diallo, If you read my first post you will see that I do indeed like Chris Rock...and yes it is my opinion (isn't that all that I have?) to say that I don't believe Rock to be "classy." He is definitely funny, cutting edge, and I would even say a comedic genius....but that doesn't, in my opinon of course, translate into an ideal Oscar host. When I talked about those three qualities you cite, I meant that the ideal host would possess all three. I think Rock is too young to host, not to mention he hasn't really been in many films that are considered to be significant by Academy standards (which is another reason why I think Letterman failed.) This is coming, mind you, from someone who has grown up with the Oscars, and their unique stature in popular culture.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I have to agree with the "class" arguement. Steve and Billy have class during the show. Whoppi had some, but lost it along the way ("Colors of my wind" comment).

Chris' schtick is portraying an angry person. He seems to be always yelling and mad. That doesn't translate to the Oscars, for me.

I guess we'll wait and see!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Apparently they chose Rock because ratings were declining and the Academy felt the broadcasts were losing the younger demographic. Frankly, I think they were losing the younger demographic because films like Forrest Gump were beating films like Pulp Fiction and younger viewers were deciding that the Oscars were long, boring and culturally irrelevant.

Hiring Rock won't being back the younger viewers and may alienate the Oscar's core audience.

I predict even lower ratings next year followed by cries of "Bring Back Billy Crystal!"

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i have a feeling that many of you may be pleasantly surprised. unless, you have a bias against rock, based upon a preconcieved notion that he will not bring class to his hosting duties for the academy.

:rolleyesyawn....

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Rock hasn't shown me any class when he's hosted award shows. Even if he tries to show class, I don't think it'll come across well because of his voice.

~T

Diallo B

Screenwriter
well fellas,

excluding any previous academy awards hosts, who would you like to see hosting the event?

Lee Ford

Agent

Personally, I'd like to see Conan O'Brien get a shot at it. He was great at the Emmys a couple of years ago. I know he hasn't been in any movies, but he'd bring in a fresh take on the Oscars. Jon Stewart would do a good job, too.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Back in the day when he was capable of being funny without being irritatingly political (and excessivly bias) he could have been funny. Now it would just be a 4 hour run of bad political jokes. The Daily Show went downhill so fast it's absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks