What's new

Choppy playback from HTPC - all players and file types (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi everyone,
I recently built a HTPC running Windows 7 and Windows Media Center.

It is connected to my Sony AVR (STRDH520).

The playback I see is choppy. I'm not sure if I need to change anything in Windows 7, such as the hz of the monitor...

The TV is a Sony XBR9 (http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-52XBR9/en/p/KDL52XBR9#specifications).

Seems like the video plays well for a few seconds, then appears to drop frames... so I see smooth playback, then jerk forward.

Any idea what I can do? I don't think it is a codec issue (Shark's 007 codec pack).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
How are connecting your HTPC to your Sony? Via HDMI? What is your CPU rated at? How much RAM?
What video card are you using?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Connecting the HTPC via HDMI.
CPU = i7 3770RAM = 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU = HD 7970

I figured out the issue and wanted to post back in case someone else has problems.

Looks like the video can be fixed by using CATALYST CONTROL CENTER - enabling the 'smooth playback' feature.

For audio I edited a registry entry. This article has the solution: http://www.overclock.net/t/1386403/newest-13-4-13-5-catalyst-causing-stuttering-audio-thru-hdmi-fix

I used post # 2.
Open the registry (start run regedit)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetContro lVideo{XXXX...}0000( 'XXXX' means device number. There are several device number folder and u should find 'AdapterDesc' in 0000 folder which key value is 'amd radeon HD 7XXX Series'. )At that '0000' folder, Change 'PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable REG_DWORD' value 0 to 1.and reboot!

You should search the entire registry (using the find feature) for "PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable". Whatever you find, edit the 0 to a 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks