Choosing a new Receiver based on requirements

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by maxsound7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Probably means the stock finally ran out. The new models trickle in February and March.

2. maxsound7

maxsound7 Extra

Well I have narrowed it down to two final choices and need help before I pull the trigger: Onkyo NR709 for around $500 with taxes/shipping OR Pioneer Elite SC-61 for $900 all in. Both will have full warranties. Will that extra cash for the Elite be worth it for the setup I am working on?: My goal is to have audiophile front speakers and sub which will all use pre outs and run off separate amps. The receiver will be used to power my center and surrounds for home theatre. When I crank it the sound must be clean, no distorting. To give you an idea of my ears: listened to $500 Energy and $500 Polk towers today on a Marantz, it was way to bright loud and unfortunately sounded better turned down. You guys have been alot of help and I really appreciate it. Thank you

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If you were sticking with the same size speakers all around...I'd say the Elite. If you need the multi-crossover, get the Onkyo.

4. TheGary

TheGary Stunt Coordinator

The SC-1222 is $530 until tomorrow. It benched at 100wpc with all channels driven. Pretty impressive.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    The 1222 and the Elite SC-61 are nearly identicle, both built off the same chassis. That's quite a bit more for the Elite name and an extra years warranty.