What's new

Chips Season 2 June 3rd (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
The news item says that the episodes will be on double-sided discs for this set.That's very unfortunate.I've been looking forward to the second season being released,specifically for the Halloween episode,but,now,it seems,I won't be getting it;or,at least,I'll put it on the back burner.The first season sold well with the episodes on standard discs,so why did Warners have to change and put the second season on double-sided discs?IF IT AIN'T BROKE,DON'T FIX IT!!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm so tired of Warner Brothers, Universal and the rest of these studios for using double sided disks. When are these studios going to stop screwing fans of these TV shows over and stop using these god-forsaken-disks.

If they continue to use these disks in order to save money on production costs then they need to start passing those savings on to fans who buy these sets.

WARNER BROTHERS, UNIVERSAL!!! STOP USING DOUBLE SIDED DVD'S!!!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I did not notice the double-sided disc part, but if true i will say all of WB's Dallas sets are double-sided and have gone with no incidents of being faulty, the way universal sets seemed to be. Better production is most likely the case here. I don't mind double-sided at all aslong as they work. This is much better than having to deal with god aweful volume releases.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I think I have to agree with Aryn here, in that I don't mind double-sided DVDs, so long as they work! :) Ironically, I've had no problem playing the double-sided DVDs used by Uni in the ``Magnum'' and ``SeaQuest'' sets on my Sony PS3, so maybe it's the player that's overcoming any problem with those discs. Did get bad pixelation and unplayability on an ``A-Team'' S3 episode once, and later on an S4 episode on my Sony PS2, but not the PS3.

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
I hate double-sided disks. Even when you get a set that are trouble-free they just take too much extra care to keep scratch free.

Much as I love this show, I'll be passing it up. Hopefully the R4 release will be single-sided.

Helen

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
Even though Warner Bros. seems to put out trouble free double sided discs I too will pass on this show. The majority of people prefer single sided discs even if it costs a little more for peace of mind (not that single sided discs are always perfect but double sided has a generally worse track record). Besides, if this show is double sided to save on costs I don't see any savings being passed on to the consumer. Death to double sided discs!:eek:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
So WB has a track record of manufacturing a working product when it comes to double-sided discs. You won't buy because they work ? You have to take care of your DVD's ? It's to much effort to put them back in the case after viewing ? I simply don't understand the logic. Your not that big a CHiPs fan if your not buying on this reason alone. If you are one to leave your DVD's out of the case and lying around it doesn't matter if they are single or double they are going to get damaged. I don't have a single scratch or fingerprint on any dvd i own whether it be single/duel. It is just an easy and simple process really to keep them that way. When your done viewing, put them back in the case.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I've never had a problem with double siders other than the horrible job Universal had with the dvd-18's. What I do have a problem with however, is when a studio just can't seem to make up their mind with the discs. If the first season is single sided, why don't they just stick with that format? I have said all along that when it comes to tv dvd's, there must be schizophrenic nutjobs making the decisions of when, and how the dvd's will be released!

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I have been looking forward to this since last year. Yeah, I know, the double disks suck, but I've never had a problem with my Dukes or Dallas double siders. As long as they're trouble free, I don't care.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
As much as I really dislike double-sided discs, I had a lot of problems with them on my old player but I'm still going to buy CHiPs season 2 because I love the series and it's the show that counts. I just wish there wasn't such a long wait between seasons

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen

Aryn, I take extremely good care of my disks. The problem is that many of us have friends or family to whom we like to lend our disks to. Unfortunately friends/family are not always quite as careful as we would like them to be. While my single sided disks are robust enough to lend out, I am too worried to lend my double-sided ones.

Also, unfortunately for me, I have had problems with double-sided disks (not just Universal ones). Not every set I have brought, but enough so that I now like to avoid them as much as I can. I live in Australia but buy most of my TV-DVDs from the US. There is nothing so upsetting as receiving an eagerly awaited show only to discover that it will not play properly - Pretender, Leave it to Beaver, Adam-12, etc. It is always the double-disks shows I have problems with.

While Amazon is usually ok about sending me a replacement, it nearly always costs me $$$. Sometimes they want me to return the original. Since postage between the US and Australia can often cost more than the items themselves, this can be very expensive with no guarantee that the replacement will be trouble-free. (N.B. I know that US customers can return faulty items postage cost free, but unfortunately non-US customers have to pay. While in theory the postage we pay will be refunded, this usually takes several chase-ups before the refund is forth coming).

Other times they will tell me that they do not require me to send the original back as the "costs are prohibitive", then several months later I'll get a threatening letter saying they haven't received the originals and if they don't receive them by xx day they will charge me for the replacements!

Let's just say that the stress I have gone through trying to get replacements for faulty double-sided disks is not something I want repeated.

I haven't purchased "Land of the Giants" (another show I love) because the disks were double-sided and I won't buy CHiPs S2.

I wish that the studios would stop being so cheap (as others have pointed out, we sure don't see the savings) and stop using double sided disks!

The only time I now risk buying double-sided disks is if the show is under $20.00.

Helen

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Helena: I definatley feel for your situation and what you say is very fair from that regard. What i previously said obviously does not apply to everyone. You are a clear case and point where if your having these problems. Considering where you live and the hassle to exchange things, it is probably in your best interest to not buy them. I understand.. I just don't know if there have been that many problems at all with WB product Double-Sided to warrant concern, but then again i am not in your situation and it would be wrong for me to think i am ;)

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
Thanks Aryn. If CHiPs S2 isn't released in R4 I am going to be sooooo tempted to buy the R1 (double-sided) release if it does come on sale. S1 was so much fun to watch, I actually brought an extra copy so that I could give a set to my sister who also loves the show.

Cheers
Helen

RogerH

Supporting Actor
While I hate double-sided discs atleast the Warner sets with them haven't failed on me either. I wish they were single sided though.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
While I'm not a big fan of the double-sided discs, I've not had any problem playing any of them lately using my Sony PS3 system...so I'll probably be buying ``CHiPs'' S2 just to get to S3 when Bonnie makes her appearance on the show. :)

Real Name
jamie t
I think the real issue is why w.b. is taking a year to release the second season? Does this mean we have to wait another year for number 3? Hello, you could make a lot more money if you do it like every 3 months or even 6 months at the latest.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Maybe they're going to a release schedule that's unfortunately a lot like Uni with ``The Incredible Hulk'' although that may have changed for S3 and S4.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I hope Warners goes back to single sided discs for season 3, disc 1 side A is freezing throughout the episode "Family Crises". I've never had problems with double sided discs from Warners before, usually just FOX and Universal. I've tried playing the episode twice and it freezes in different places each time. Now I have to decide if I will replace the whole set or watch the remaining discs first and then just swap out the bad disc if the rest play fine.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I finally received my set today from DDD. I am on the 4th episode here and noticed a familier voice in the background and sure enough when they showed the tv screen it was none other than Regis Philbin as the news anchor for Ch 3 news. He almost looks the same as he does today. So far no issues with the double-sided discs. I hope that will remain the case as i go through these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks