Chick Corea- Rendezvous in New York SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Chick Corea's Rendezvous in New York is a smash of an SACD.

I posted a big ol' detailed review on the steve hoffman board, so I'll link to it instead of re-post it here.

My review

This has become a top SACD in my book.

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review. Looks like I'll have to pick it up.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I agree, I picked this up a couple weeks back and the performances and sound quality are right up there in the upper echelon of all the SACD's I own...highly recommended.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I bought it a few weeks ago too Mike. I like it but after all these years of listening to him, I quess I don't get as excited about him as I used to, or as enthused as you.[​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

It's funny- I started listening to Corea in college when I got into fusion. I had (and still have) my Return To Forever anthology disc like a good fusion fan. Later, I went through a period of jazz "purism" where I got bored with fusion and focused on bop, so I forgot about Corea. I was much more interested in Monk and Ellington, so much so that I wasn't interested in the wiz-bang style of Corea. The odd, sometimes silly material on experimental albums like Mad Hatter and Leprachaun, as well some (what I felt at the time were) questionable interpretations of jazz standards further distanced me from him. I even sold off a couple of his CDs, something I now very much regret.

My interest in Corea's music was re-ignited when he put together his Origin band. The first time I heard them was at Carnegie Hall, and I realised he had something special.

Now I'm long over all my silly little musical "phases" and pretty much like everything. [​IMG]

Though I've heard a lot of his music, I only own a little bit:

Return To Forever- self-titled, Light As A Feather, and the anthology

Sundance

My Spanish Heart

Akoustic Band

Origing- self-titled and the 6-disc box set

and today I traded in some used CDs for Now He Sings, Now He Sobs which I'm listening to right now.