What's new

Chessy 80's movies (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Most of the good ones were already mentioned. Here are a couple that aren't on DVD AFAIK.
Gymkata --What are the odds that there is a pommel horse in the middle of town to allow Kurt to use his deadly scissor kicks?
Class of 1984--Tim Van Patton (Dick's son) as the leader of a gang of punks causing havoc in school? Perry King, star of the TV show "Riptide," is out to stop them. Roddy McDowall steals the movie with is wigged out performance. I remember him threatening his class with a gun if they missed a question on his pop quiz. The Blackboard Jungle for Gen X.
Turk 182!--This movie is so bad that none of my friends remember it. The main plot makes no sense but it had catchy phrase. Once in a while I will scream out "Who Knew?" just to see if someone will respond.
D.A.R.Y.L.--A.I. was a blatant rip-off of this movie. They even both have initials for their titles. (I believe this came out on laserdisc.)
Other Cheesy Classics from the 80's that are avail on DVD:
The Warriors--OK 1979 but I can't NOT mention it.
Xanadu--Gene Kelly didn't know when to call it quits.
Can't Stop the Music--Starring: The Village People. Need I say more?
Police Academy--Remember when this movie seemed fresh?
Red Dawn--The Commies have invaded the US and a bunch of high schoolers are leading the fight to stop them. This is a training video for separatist militia in Wyoming.
Clash of the Titans--I can't watch Harry Hamlin in LA Law without thinking of Perseus.
My Bodyguard--Damn I saw this film a million times. I thought Christopher Makepeace was the best child actor of my generation.
The Toy--Along with Brewster's Millions, the finest Pryor films ever.
Big Trouble in Little China--Bad acting, bad lines, bad plot, great kung fu.
Short Circuit--Anybody know how this movie had so many sequels?
Over The Top--Stallone recreates his "Rocky" magic in the world of arm wrestling.
Mannequin--Scene stealing performance by Meshach Taylor along the lines of Bronson Pinchot in Beverly Hills Cop.
Gotcha!--Gotta love those movie titles that end in punctuation. As if you're supposed to give the proper inflection every time you mention the title. Anyway it's a spy film involving paint ball guns. Only in the 80's.
9 to 5--Anybody else not blink during every Dolly Parton scene? I was a preteen just straining for any hint of seeing the mythical you-know-whats. What a tease.
Pump Up the Volume--Pretentious prick. That's what I thought of Christian Slater's character but it had a good soundtrack.
Iron Eagle--A high schooler knows how to fly an F-15 because his dad was a pilot and he got to play around on the simulators? Again, how did this have so many sequels?
Bloodsport--"Duke's my man!" Such a blatant rip-off of Enter the Dragon that they even had Bolo play the bad guy.
And finally the granddaddy of them all:
The Neverending Story--I think this one needs no explanation.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The most significant difference between movies of today and the 80's is the music.

The movies back then always had a song or soundtrack that you could identify with the film. They were a prominent part of the movie. I could name a ton of titles and a song will immediately come to mind. As noted in a previous post, how could you not think of the Pat Benatar song when someone mentions the Legend of Billie Jean?

I don't get that impression with today's films.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Big Trouble in Little China--Bad acting, bad lines, bad plot, great kung fu.
You forgot to mention "Completely intentional". It was a send up of everything from action films and shattering standard tough guy roles such as John Wayne & Clint Eastwood to 70's Chinese wire work...if the intention of a film is to send up cheesy film plots and cinematic stereotypes while also confessing it's love for such films I personally don't consider that film to actually be cheesy, it would be like calling Dr. Strangelove just another cold war nuclear potboiler because it had Russians and H-bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks