What's new

Chessy 80's movies (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Pryor: All (or at least most of) those titles are already out on DVD! We're listing ones that aren't out yet!
What About...My Chauffeur (same girl that was in Valley Girl)
It's already been in (and out?) of print:
Link Removed
I ask the question "and out?", because - while it's still officially listed as active - it was recalled from stores about a year or so ago, right after a price drop to an SRP of just $9.95. Stores that I had seen it in-stock at forever informed me that it was just shipped back on a recent return, along with lots of other titles (and not just other Rhino titles, either, so they were normal stock turnovers that happen in retail from time-to-time).
But in the early part of this year it showed back up again, at a store I'd never seen it at before: Best Buy. For $7.99. Along with fellow '80's cheesers Coach ($7.99) and My Tutor ($9.99). The only one I didn't see was Galaxina...but I recently (a few weeks ago) spotted that one along with the other three at a regional music store chain called Turtles Music, for $8.79 each.
Keep in mind that all four releases are Full Screen MAR releases. But...the cheese lives!
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
I'm sure they can all be found at DVDPlanet or Amazon.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Kent:

Yes, thank goodness for Midnight Madness, although I was a bit peeved when they didn't release it widescreen as they initially informed me they would. I'm equally tweaked about Can't Buy Me Love being 4:3-only, now that I've found out about it.

Dammit.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Ross, the entire Puppet Master series was released by Full Moon, but is OOP(see the reviews at The Digital Bits). I just checked eBay and they aren't expensive...

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Someone already mentioned Lucas and Hot Pursuit, but no one has mentioned one of my favorite "martial arts" films of all time:
Link Removed!!
I did't think this one was cheesy, but The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy as a classic 80s film!

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
I've always had a soft spot for "Hiding Out" with Jon Cryer. Something about it just appeals to me - maybe it's the soundtrack - Roy Orbison & KD Lang do one of the best performances of Crying I've heard.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Han, Thrashin', how could I forget! That with RAD would be an incredible double feature.
Also forgot two quintessential 80's movies.
Breakin' and of course...
Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo
(The greatest name for a sequel in the history of film.)
I've also got to add - Disorderlies - The Fat Boys movie.

Kent Nelson

Agent
I know someone mentioned it before, but don't forget the vehicle that launched Nicole Kidman into the spotlight - BMX Bandits!

These aren't cheesy flicks but funny and from the 80's:

Eddie Murphy's Raw & Delirious

Anyone heard what the deal is with releasing them? Are they too controversial? Or did he just piss off too many people?

~Kathleen

(Who did mean "Cheesy" not "Chessy" or "Chesty" as some have pointed out. I'm a bad typer & speller. lol) :b

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was reported in another thread about the Eddie Murphy comedy shows you mention that, after Eddie became a parent, he decided that these shows weren't appropriate and he decided that these should not be sold anymore. Apparently he has enough of a controlling interest in them to enforce it.
I disagree strongly with such a decision, *if* true. These were never for kids anyway. I watched the first one when I was about 19-20, and wouldn't let any kid under, maybe, 16, sit through five minutes of either one. Not that they haven't heard it all before anyway, but that's where the "maybe" comes in: you have to use judgement on a person-by-person basis. There are some adults who shouldn't watch those things. The concept of a gay Mr. T, even as an obvious joke, will confuse them and make them upset.
But the choice should be ours to make, right? We're the customer, so we're always right! :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the HTF, Kathleen!
I'm a huge fan of "Chessy 80's Movies"! ;)
I'd love to see the following titles hit DVD one day:
Popeye (!!!!!)
Scavenger Hunt
Flash Gordon (and not that OOP one; I want a shiny new SE! PLEASE, Universal???)
Flesh + Blood
Critters
Night of the Creeps
Orca (Ok, this one's from the 70's but it's cheesy enough to be included!)
Modern Girls
Head Office
Dragonslayer
From Beyond
We've seen a lot of great/fun cult flicks from the late 70's/early 80's get released or announced recently (UHF, Real Genius, Legend, Innerspace, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Near Dark, Used Cars, The Swarm, The Fog, Caveman, Wolfen, Top Secret!, Johnny Dangerously, Time After Time, Clash of the Titans, Gremlins 2, The Big Bus, Return of the Living Dead, Prophecy, Pretty in Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful), so hopefully we won't have long to wait for our other Cheese Classics to go digital!
This post brought to you by the fine folks at Popeye on DVD, Inc.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
:confused: Okay so now Time After Time (actually 1979 but whatever) Legend AND Dragonslayer are cheesy?
:rolleyes:Oy! ;)
Maybe I am not understanding the definition of Cheese pertaining to this thread.

Han

Second Unit
Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo
(The greatest name for a sequel in the history of film.)
Ross, I agree that has got to be the best sequel name ever! It's logged countless hours of schtick for me and my friends. Whenever someone mentions ...2, like, "Let's go see American Pie 2." someone else inevitably says, "Electric Boogaloo?"
Well, it's funnier than how I describe it.:D

Jodee

Screenwriter
The Last Dragon, Hiding Out, The Golden Child, and WarGames are already available on DVD.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
FYI:

Breakdance
Breakdance 2 - Electric Boogaloo
Beat Street

HAVE JUST BEEN RELEASED AS PAL DVD's in Europe!!!

I am definitely gonna get Beat Street, cuz I've never seen the uncut one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks