What's new

Cheezy Flicks: Bootlegs or no? (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys -
So I looking for the American cut of KISS meets the Phantom of the Park and the name Cheesy Flicks came up. While the movie ran headlong into rights issues and was pulled, I found the company and their other selections. Amazingly, they have a couple of flicks I'd love to get my hands on - Convoy and the exploitation trailers compilations, for starts. But the prices and the presentation just scream Bootleg to me. Sure some of their offerings are public domain, but the rest seem dodgy.
Any thoughts? Has anyone bought their discs?
http://cheezyflicks.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

walter o

Supporting Actor
CONVOY is a bootleg. HELLCATS and THE TEACHER is owned by Crown and you can pick up a nice 16x9 master on many MillCreek to old BCI packs over a VHS rip that CheezyFlicks is offering, also ILSA is a bootleg, thats controlled by LionsGate, so this is either a rip of the AB DVD or some old vhs ex-rental, ditto or SAVANNAH SMILES, probably a rip from AB or Hens Tooth's old DVD, or off a vhs, SHARK is coming out from Olive in HD the title is not in the PD, MAKE THEM DIE SLOWLY and I DRINK YOUR BLOOD are already out on Grindhouse in a nice deluxe edition, as is MARK OF THE DEVIL from BU, and VELVET VAMPIRE from Shout, so no need pay same amount for a vhs rip,
anyway, my two cents worth.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It's buried in a box set of music videos and concert footage, but you can obtain a licensed legit edition of KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK in the KISSOLOGY VOL. 2 DVD collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Kissology-II-1978-1991-KISS/dp/B000SAAPG6/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1340940949&sr=1-4&keywords=kiss+meets+the+phantom+of+the+park

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I was hoping for the NBC Movie of the Week cut, the much more incoherent version! (:

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
It seems to be a vexxed question. I've often wondered about the legality of Cheezy Flicks stuff. The reviews indicate their quality is massively variable - but then, so is the stuff emanating from the likes of Alpha Video.
If their stuff is bootleg it certainly doesn't look like it - I bought The Navy vs the Night Monsters without knowing that it was a Cheezy title. It's very professionally produced - nice sleeve art, the DVD is a proper pressed one with artwork, etc, and I bought it via Amazon as well. This said, Cheezy were also (as I recall) offering Corman's Attack of the Crab Monsters for a long time before the licensed edition came out and a very expensive and inferior one it was too.
The only conclusion I've been able to draw is that Cheezy have some "dubious" practises but don't seem to be a genuine priate outfit, unlike those who only offer "rare films" which everyone knows have never been licensed on dodgy DVDR's from their own websites and nowhere else.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Nebiroth said:
ItThe only conclusion I've been able to draw is that Cheezy have some "dubious" practises but don't seem to be a genuine priate outfit, unlike those who only offer "rare films" which everyone knows have never been licensed on dodgy DVDR's from their own websites and nowhere else.
Just because they are on pressed disc and selling them in places like amazon doesnt make them innocent. I am sure KISS, Crown International,StudioCanal, Blue underground, HensTooth, Anchor Bay, Lions Gate, Mill Creek, Grindhouse Releasing, etc will all disagree that they are not a geuine pirate outfit, but what do I know.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
walter o said:
Just because they are on pressed disc and selling them in places like amazon doesnt make them innocent. I am sure KISS, Crown International,StudioCanal, Blue underground, HensTooth, Anchor Bay, Lions Gate, Mill Creek, Grindhouse Releasing, etc will all disagree that they are not a geuine pirate outfit, but what do I know.
Reminds me of that one particular outfit that releases martial films much in the same way. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks