What's new

Cheers - where's the next season? (1 Viewer)

FallGuy

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
After a really solid schedule of releases on this title, it appears release news has dried up. Same with Frasier.

Anyone have any intel on arrival date for the next season?

John Simon

Second Unit
Anyone have any idea what happened to this series? Was it not selling well? After having 4 seasons released in 2005, we've only seen one in 2006. I'm starting to grow increasingly concerned that I might not ever own the complete series.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
They have already released eighth seasons. I don't think they are going to stop now!

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to finish both my Cheers and Frasier collections, two of my all time favorite comedies. Why is Paramount dragging their feet on this?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Has Paramount recently had a merger with CBS or something? It's just that here in the UK we have had to wait a year between the release of Cheers season four and season five (which was released last week), I just noticed that season five is sporting a new CBS logo next to the usual Paramount logo.

So, maybe the of the seasons will start to trickle through for you guys over the pond now?

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
The seventh seasons of Frasier and Cheers were released in Nov. of 2005, the eighth seasons in June of 2006, a difference of about eight months. It's only been six months since the eighth seasons. Paramount's just trying to drag out the sales of new season releases as long as possible. In the case of Frasier, we have the first eight seasons and the final eleventh season, that leaves only two seasons left. They're not gonna quit now.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
6 months with no announcement though ... they couldn't release it before March 07 at the earliest I think.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Cheers has a solid release schedule. Ever since Season 2, I've been doubting a new one will come out, and BAM a new set comes out.

David's right, patience! It's only been 5 months.

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator
It's just bizarre - we had one release in 2003, two in 2004, four in 2005 and one in 2006. With the four that came out last year, many of us had expected to own the whole series by now.

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I see they advertised the latest set of Frasier, but I want more Cheers! What in the world is going on with this?

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Something concerns me about the upcoming season 9 set. Every other set in the series is coined "The Complete xx Season". However this one simply states "The Ninth Season". Why was the word complete omitted? It makes me wonder if anything is missing from this set. Perhaps the 200th episode special Gord mentioned in his news item won't be included, thus making it incomplete. I don't know.

I don't have a problem with series that are labelled as "The xx Season" as opposed to "The Complete xx Season", but those shows usually do it from the first season onward. Two prime examples are "Sanford & Son" and "Three's Company". But for a show to release 9 previous sets labelled as "Complete" seasons only to have the word omitted for the upcoming one is a bit disheartening to me.

Also, I'm not collecting "Cheers" yet but it is odd that it hasn't been announced at the same time as "Frasier". Usually where there's one, there's the other. I plan on getting "Cheers" once a few of my other shows are completed so hopefully Paramount hasn't given up on it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No longer. Just over a year ago, Viacom split into two separate entities. One retained the Viacom name and owns Paramount and various cable channels. The other is called CBS Corp. and owns the TV network, various affiliates and CBS Radio (formerly Infinity Broadcasting).

Sumner Redstone remains the controlling shareholder of both entities, but they now operate independently.

M.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Where did you see Season 9 packaging? If you saw something, I would assume it was a mock-up and the real package will say "Complete".

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator

He's talking about the season nine Frasier packaging on the tvshowsondvd.com website.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
I believe paramount just saying the ninth season on Frasier. does not mean that its not complete.If you notice they just say the fourth season on their other announcement today wings season 4. And they did the same thing on their april releases for happy days.mork & mindy. laverne and shirley and the odd couple.All 4 of those april releases do not have the word complete as well.

ThorstenB

Auditioning
Real Name
Thorsten
Somehow i have the feeling we will not get anymore Cheers seasons, otherwise they would have announced it together with Frasier. If its not announced the next few days, then :-(((

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks