What's new

Check out this walk down memory lane... (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My uncle had something like that back in the 70's, Packard-Bell I think. About 8' long and weighed a ton, especially when stocked with all the alcohol that thing could hold.

$2800? Good luck.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Oh, come on Gene, you know you want them speakers...
:laugh: You KNOW he does!

My uncle had a big honking console like that in his living room. My cousin and I listened to many an album on it in the late 60s/early '70s.

I couldn't tell you the make. Wonder whatever happened to it. Maybe my cousin has it at his house...

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I remember the big honkin' cabinet systems, but I confess I've never seen the separate speaker cabinets. I kind of like them, give you a cool table and maybe makes better use of space..

It's also appears that they were addressing WAF from the early days.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Actually, the value of that thing is in "The Fisher 250" :lol: . And the amount of previously mentioned alcohol that thing can store.

The cabinet looks like high quality. But what's that thing in the third picture?

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
The Ampex tape deck looks funny because he took the head cover off and put it where the right-hand reel goes.

He's now asking $1800 for the whole thing, which actually is a really good price, if only because turntables go for a lot of money these days. If those Altec speakers have working tweeters, they probably sound great. Although that Fisher is not very high end, the whole thing probably has a wonderful, warm, analog sound.

And if those cabinets are solid wood and not veneer, it's a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks