Check out my new B-tech brackets (mounting JBL's)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Back when I ordered JBL S26II's, I didn't want to drill into them. I did read that drilling into them would hurt nothing, but it's a personal preference. [​IMG]
    I finally came across B-tech for some clamping speaker mounts. I found a pair that would hold up to 55lbs! I grabbed the pair and they arrived very quickly.
    Anyway, I finally got my speakers mounted (still working on my HT, overall) and they work wonderfully. It mounts into the stud and is very sturdy.
    Here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    I messed with the brightness and contrast with this photo on PSP7 so it didn't look so black and you can see some of the details:
    [​IMG]
    Just in case anyone is wondering anything further about the brackets, they're mostly made out of steel. Only the plastic area is the plastic piece at the elbow which actually works well for locking into place (the mount swivels 180º left to right and 10º up and down). There are a few tightening screws, so I'll play with those so make finer adjustments. It also came with a few screws that poke into your speaker for added security. I both didn't need them and didn't want them. [​IMG]
    Finally, see the bright silver nut hanging down? There is a plastic cap that I forgot the put on there. No metallic parts showing anywhere. [​IMG]

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I got a pair eons ago and love them too. I forgot how much I paid for them but they haven't changed prices since I got mine last year from Crutchfield.

I always recommend these for the larger wall mounted surrounds whether they want to drill into their speaker or not. Good pricing too.

Congrats, looks great.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I've been using a set of those B-Tech's for a little over two years with B&W 601S2's. If you screw those suckers into a stud, you can literally do chin-ups on them. They are flat out awesome for the $$. I bought my pair from Crutchfield also.

Looks good!

Pete

4. Adam Bluhm

I didn't even think to look at Crutchfield. I bought them what appeared to be direct... from their site.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm REALLY not a fan of this type of bracket. I would not be comfortable with the speaker being held by the lower edges, on the sides only. If you can strap them down to the base somehow, that might be better, IMO.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Nice job.
    Look like BT-77s yes? What's the weight of a JBL rear shown here? Did you use some kind of wall plate to feed the wire for a custom finish?

I'm getting there too...

7. Adam Bluhm

Well, John, I didn't even tighten the side clams and I tried sliding the speaker around. It wasn't moving. It was simply resting on the base.
    As I said earlier, I'll still tweak the screws to make it sit comfortably. Shaking it loose was the first thing I tried. Believe me, it's not moving anywhere.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

9. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

The brackets come with some adhesive foam that you can put on the inside of the clamps to hold the speaker more firmly.

Also, you could use our "fix all" blue tack if you're still concerned about the speaker falling off. When I get my B&W 600's, I'll probably do a combo of both the adhesive foam and blue tack. I currently use blue tack for my mains on stands and it takes a heck of a force to get them off the stands. In fact, I've held them sideways by the stand and they didn't fall off. Great stuff!

Bob

10. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Where you reading my mind with this post? I was just about to start looking for bracket for B&W 601S3! Thanks for the post!
    Marc

EDIT: Just ordered a pair from Crutchfield.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Foam does not excite me, but Blu-tack should do the trick. I would have an easier time trusting some type of adhesive more than just foam, at least on the base, if not the sides.

12. Adam Bluhm

I missed your post, Bill. No, I've done no work in the wall. I haven't run the wire, yet. [​IMG]

13. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

John, the foam is more for keeping the bracket from "indenting" the speaker than anything else. I have my brackets angled down, with blue-tack keeping my 601's in place. Believe me, when I pulled them down to paint the wall last winter, they were NOT easy to take off. I had to loosen one side of the clamps and wiggle the speaker off of the blue-tack. Them babies aren't going ANYWHERE, and that's with me being careful not to clamp them too tightly.[​IMG]
    I ran my speaker wire straight out a small hole in the wall above and behind the speaker straight to the posts. I then took painter's calk to touch up the edges of the hole (the wall is a eggshell color, so it blended perfectly). It really looks professional, and I don't have that extra electrical connection a wallplate would have required. Plus, when I go to sell the house, the small hole is easy to patch up.
    Good luck guys!
    Pete

14. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The foam for the side clamps is to give it a friction fit. You're not actually clamping down hard on the speaker so much as clamping down hard enough for the foam pieces to press against the sides and grip the speaker. I use the BT-7's for my Polk RT25i's, and they're excellent mounts.