What's new

Cheapest receiver with LFE re-routing to large speakers (1 Viewer)

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
Hi All,

Any suggestions for the cheapest receiver that has the following features:

1) DPL II or similar (logic 7, etc)
2) Preouts for at least L & R channel
3) When sub is set to no, LFE is routed to L&R speakers (or large speakers)

I was originally looking at the Denon 1802, but found out that if you have no sub, it drops the LFE. Now I'm looking at the Marantz 4200. Does anyone know if it does the same? The manual doesn't say anything, so I'm guessing it doesn't do the right thing.

Another possibility is an HK 310, which has logic 7. I'm prefectly happy to buy used or off ebay, but I can't find any 310's for sale.

If you're wondering, the reason I'm looking for such a beast is because I currently have a decent 2-channel analogue system so the receiver quality won't affect my music listening. I just want to add a cheap receiver for TV watching and the occasional movie.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Matt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I was originally looking at the Denon 1802, but found out that if you have no sub, it drops the LFE.
???

boy did I miss that one. I thought ALL DD receivers would route the LFE to LARGE speakers.

Check out the receiver-comparison chart at the top of this fourm. I still think Dennon is a good company so dont reject the brand out of hand. Kenwood is re-building it's reputation with great features at budget prices for it's receivers. And of course my favorite is Yamaha.

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
I thought ALL DD receivers would route the LFE to LARGE speakers.
My understanding is that the 1802 doesn't, but I really shouldn't state this as fact because because it is only something that I've read. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this is true for the 1802? I read the online manual and I didn't see a mention either way.

Thanks,
Matt

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
No scientific tests, but I helped a friend set-up his 1802 in the same configuration you asked about (no Sub, Large L&R fronts).

After balancing the channels, we popped in Attack of the Clones. Either there is a LOT of bass in the main channels, or the 1802 is correctly sending the LFE to the mains.

Nothing sounded bass shy to us.

BGL

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
When sub=no on a Denon receiver then the LFE is routed to the main speakers. Check out the bottom of page 19 of the user manual for bass setting info...

Matthew Ar

Auditioning
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at page 19 of the denon 1802 manual now and I see the "notes" section on bass management. However, I don't see where it says that LFE is routed to the mains.

Which manual are you looking at?

Thanks,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks