Cheap subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Aug 27, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am looking for a subwoofer for >$200 CND. I am really ticked off because when we bought our tv the guy talked my mom into buying a 150 monster power bar to protect our home entertainment center but she whines about spending 150 on a subwoofer. Anyway, our room is 28X14X7 (nice doubles huh?) we have a carpeted floor over concrete. I would like a subwoofer that will give us adequate bass but nothing that will massacre the house and cause hours of arguing about how no one listens or respects people's need for quiet. I wasn't even sure if i was going need a base because my mains have 10" woofers in them but I think that I will end up needing one.
    any thoughts?

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

3. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

would they carry these models at futureshop, best buy or a local AV store?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I do not think Futureshop carries the Sony...

Most of the subs at Futureshop aren't 'outstanding' for their price (at least in the lower end

The Dayton 10" from partsexpress is supposed to be really awesome. I'd check out that route, see how much shipping and stuff goes to

5. Gau

Gau Stunt Coordinator

would you guys recommend the dayton 10" or the velodyne cht-10

6. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

I personally like the Dayton better becuase it is simply a better value for the money.

Don't let the popular name brand of velodyne fool you - it is not like their normal high-end gear. The Dayton sub is much better built and sounds much better, especially for the price.

7. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I have a Dayton 10" in an open basement. It does just fine, thank you. If you want a sub for under $200, then that's the one to get.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I had a Dayton sub shipped last October. They charged $246.73 Cdn. and Canada post charged me for GST and PST at the door. That was when the exchange rate was at .72 and I just checked it today at .73
    I was a bit disapointed it wasn't a better deal. They used US postal air freight at $52.84 US
    In retrospect it's still a better sub than anything you'll find at Futurshop for that price.

9. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

Any idea on when the Dayton goes on sale? They'd clean house if they put it on sale for $99 once in a while....

/cheapskate

10. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Futureshop has a Yamaha sub for $150, and Walmart has a Sony for $199. You might want to check out your city on saturday.

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

12. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

Was that a ONE day sale and I missed it??????!!! I've been waiting for weeks and I missed it????!!! It's back to $125.

/very cheap

13. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Pay the extra $25 dollars. It is more than worth it. I have mine in a 20' x 18' room with a cathedral ceiling and an open loft overhead. That is alot of cubic feet. With my Dayton in the corner it shakes the house. It is a great deal. The best budget sub out there.

14. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

I own the Dayton and I agree it's the best low cost value and it will shake the house but it is not a musical sub. It's sorta OK for some music but you won't mistake it for Hsu, SVS or AV123.

David

15. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Buying from Partsexpress is not economical for Canadians.

16. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have never owned an SVS, but I would agree with David regarding music. In fact, any subs I have owned always get turned way down for music. I like bass, but I like the bass put out by my S38II's for music. Not overpowering but realistic.

For HT, it works very well.

As for Parts Express, it may not be economical but its is $25. I am the biggest sale /deal shopper out there so if it was that unreasonable for additional charges I would not consider it for Canadien buyers.

17. Pete_M3

Pete_M3 Agent

If you can spend a bit more, here is a sub from CSS, a Canadian company, for $379CDN, shipped

(since I'm not allowed to post URLs, add "www" to the link below)

.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=CLARUS8150PR