What's new

Cheap Subwoofer for Apt. - Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Hi, thanks for reading this post. I just bought my 5.0 speakers and now I'm looking for a sub. I share a room in a house (even worse than an apt.) So I can't have ridiculous bass, but I want to have something decent when I watch movies (with my roomies). I only want to spend about $200 just because it will kill me to spend money on a nice sub that I can never crank up.

Currently I have (on delivery)

Infinity Beta 40 Fronts
" C360 Center
" CS250 Surrounds
(all except the 360 are factory refurbs - pray, they sound like your newer brethren!)

and I'm thinking about these super budget subs:

Velodyne VRP-1000
Dayton Sub-100

and I'm really really tempted to just double my budget and get the SVS NSD-10 in overstock silver. Any other suggestions? Thanks, I know this question has been asked a hundred times in a hundred different ways and I read through them but new developments happen all the time so I thought I'd ask again. Thanks!

matt

Mike_NW

Agent
Real Name
Mike
That SVS for $375 would seem to be a good option. Better than skimping for something and not feeling good about it.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the BIC H-100. It's a great sub . . . not on par with the PB10, but it's over $100 cheaper putting it much closer to your budget. If you're going to go with the Dayton sub, get the Sub-120 instead of the Sub-100.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Onix X-sub $199 8" 150w (~28Hz), small and won't get you kicked out... www.av123.com Won't likely give you the same output as the others you mentioned though.

For $349, there is also the HSU STF-2, which is 10" and 200w (~25Hz)

If you don't mind the silver or cream, the PB-10 is definitely going to be the pick of the pack at the price though.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
you gonna share the apt. forever? get the best sub you can afford. it should last a good long time. look at it this way, your gonna use this thing for at least 3 years right? so $175 difference in price divided by 36 months = less than $5 a month! what's $5 a month when it comes to your overall happiness? that's right, nothin'! so go ahead do the right thing...

well this is sort of how i justified my sub splurge @ $600.

hope it helps.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Max you're great. You helped a lot in another post of mine and this time you sounded exactly like my best friend. Hilarious. Thanks.

Harlowe Thrombey

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I have to throw my 2 cents in here, being a recent SVS convert. I was facing a similar problem several weeks ago: I live in a townhouse and am relatively constrained by my neighbors. I'm not able to really let my system loose like I'd like to, but I also wanted to upgrade from my old subwoofer and wanted some deep deep bass with plenty of reserve. I also wanted this sub to last awhile and be able to play in any sort of room I would put it in (for future purposes.) I went with the PB12-NSD and I made the right call. Its an amazing sub and has tons of bass in reserve. I can't wait to get a house and really push this thing.

I would try to push you towards the PB10-NSD, you will not be disappointed. You'll have plenty of sub in reserve, you'll just have to keep the gain in check. Plus when you move you'll be much happier with this sub compared to some of the other subs mentioned above.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Alright, you've all convinced me. I'll wait a little bit to complete my system and go for the SVS. I saw some decent reviews for the others and I got hopeful thinking that maybe I could get away with a cheaper sub, and I could, but as with everything in life you do get what you pay for. And like you all say, it's not like my computer that is worth less than half of what I paid to build it last summer, it'll be a solid piece of dominance for many years to come.

Thanks everybody.:D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, just go for the SVS and keep it tuned a bit low most of the time. You can air it out when you want or have different living quarters.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Woe is me. It looks like SVS quit the whole overstock silver and cream-white thing. All of their subs are back up to normal prices. :frowning:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure we have some PB10s left on sale?

Another option to consider is the JBL "sub12". Decent 12" model with 250w. $229 with free shipping from Jandrmusic.com

Tom V.
SVS

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
If this doesnt convince you to buy from SVS; I dont know what will. These are some stand up guys and they have great subs.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

No, all the NSD-10's are $429, regardless of color. But thanks for the link to the JBL sub and the Energy sub from Kean-Hock. I've actually been in correspondence with some SVS guys on eBay (who apparently got SBS systems as a bonus that they're selling) and they do indeed sound like some very stand-up folks. Regardless of whatever I buy now, eventually I will be the proud owner of an SVS sub. Thanks again everyone who has posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks