What's new

cheap subwoofer amplifier (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Alright i am going to be running dual Adire Audio tempests and im looking for a cheap amp. My choices are to run the subs wired together which will give me either a 2ohm load or an 8ohm load. The other choice is to get an amp that will do 250x2 at 4 ohms. I wanna run 250 watts to each sub. So a 250x2 at 4 ohm amplifier or an amp that will do 500watts at 2ohms or an amplifier that will run 500 watts at 8ohms. Trying to keep it cheap as possible.

Thanks.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Cheapest option is probably the Nady XA900 from www.musiciansfriend.com

300W x 2 channels at 4 ohms for $180 plus shipping. But this is a fan cooled pro-amp so you'll have to decide if fan noise is going to be a problem for you.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know where i can get rca to xlr connectors then cheap. Since it looks like this amp only has xlr inputs.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
would you guys go with that nady amp or would you go with 2 Rythmik Audio A250 Basic amps. I would have a Rythmic for each tempest.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Nady would get my vote and you can get adapters for XLR to RCA at radio shack. You might find that you can unplug the fan on the amp altogether as it still likely won't be run as hard as they are designed to. My QSC has been running without a fan for awhile now. It gets pretty warm but hasn't shut down at all.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Just a point about the fan noise, you may think it won't bother you but I can almost guarantee that it will. If the amp is in your listening room, you will more than likely find it objectionable over time. If it is in another room, then the point is moot. And, yes the amp will work perfectly for your sub(s).
JP

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor

At $40 extra, the Rythmik amps are a reasonable alternative. They give you fan-less cooling, rumble filter, adjustable phase control, adjustable low-pass filter and a integrated solution (amp is built right into the subwoofer enclosure).

The Nady amp gives you stability down to 2ohm loads (stereo) to get more power plus the ability to bridge both channels to get very high power into a single load, at a price that's $40 cheaper.

I'd say its a personal decision that depends on how tight your budget is, whether you can tolerate fans and what future projects the amp might be used for ... cause lets face it, DIYers are suckers for an upgrade.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
how much louder is the fan on that amp compared to a normal computer and the projector that are both in the room. The amplifier is probably going to be about 14 feet from the listening area so im taking a guess i wont be able to hear it from that far. Right now i am pushing towards the nady amp.

Also will these work fine for that amplifier going from rca to the 1/4" plug.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...90-285&scqty=2

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
Oddly, the XA-2100 is quieter than the XA-900. I had to fan-mod the XA-900 (two 23db computer fans), but I left the 2100 alone. It sits right in my stack not more than 6ft away.

Noise on the 900 was something like 50db from 1 ft away, or like a louder computer (not the crazy overclocked with five blowholes kind, but not the newer "big fan/slow RPM" stuff either). The fan mod didn't help a huge deal, as most of the noise seems to come from the case resonating with the fan vibrations.

Anyway... you don't need to go RCA->XLR, I use RCA->1/4" mono plugs... they're easier to find and easier to use, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks