Cheap HDTV Tuner

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Williams, May 6, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I am looking for a really cheap HDTV tuner for my Mits RPTV. TV is not that important to me, I watch far more DVDs than TV so I really don't want to spend a lot of money for a tuner. Any suggestions?

2. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

You can often find demo units of the older Samsungs for cheap at Best Buy. I got the SIR-T150 that way and it's worked well. Great unit.

3. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

If you are just looking for OTA reception, I got the Samsung SIR-T151 from Amazon for $310 shipped. It is current generation and so far, I am very pleased with its performance.

4. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a floor model Samsung SIR t-150x for $299.00 (San Francisco Bay area) the other day and it works quite well. It has an rgb output which the newer version SIR T-151 doesn't have. That's VERY helpful to me since I can leave the component cables connected to my DVD player and the RGB to the Samsung and both will plug in to my projector. I don't know if the internal components are identical but at that price I'm not complaining. On a related note I suggest an outdoor antenna. The indoor models (rabbit ears, etc.) aren't worth the grief.

5. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

6. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Well, I guess it will be a while before I get an HDTV tuner. I really only want to spend $200 or less, preferably less. Like I said, TV is low on the totem pole. Given the choice to watch broadcast TV (I only have basic cable and don't want any more than the 14 channels I get with it) and watching a DVD, I will choose the DVD every time. It would just be nice to get the network broadcasts in HD if I could. It is just is not worth $300+ to me.