Cheap DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredHD, Oct 2, 2002.

1. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

The new wife and I got a new EMac with DVD burner. I plan to edit my wedding video and burn some copies for family, etc. What is a good deal on them. About $4 a pop? Are there any online or B&M retailers that anyone can recommend?

TIA,
    JW

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I saw an ad at Office Max a few weeks back... a 15-disc spindle was $25 after rebates.

3. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

$.89 or $89.00 for a spindle of 100.
    Ive gone through about 40 of these and only 1 failure. Ive burned with my e20 and my vivastar dvd-ram- dvd-r recorder.
    http://www.atdiscount.com/community/cdr/dvd-r.html
    the one failure was on my pc and I think I had something to do with the bad burn.

4. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steven K and Mark_Mac.

Mark_Mac

I went to that website. They have some really good prices. Would the $.89 ones work okay for making wedding videos? I will be using iDVD on my mac and I will have interactive menus. Do you know the difference between these general purpose ones and the DVD-R "Authoring" media?

5. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

If you're making videos for other people (and charging?), I would definitely spend a little more and get name brand. Only use generic when it won't be "incovenient" to have a bad copy a year from now, or if compatibility isn't a huge concern (i.e., you know exactly which player it will be played on, and you know that brand works).

6. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Marty,

Which name brands would you recommend? Maxell, TDK, Fuji, Sony, etc. type name brands? I'd like to make them as compatible for others as possible. It will be for family and friends. I won't be charging anyone for these, but I'd like them to have the same quality as if I was.

TIA,
    JW

7. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Really I cant tell any difference between the high priced name brands and the ones at atdiscount for $89.00. If your making Wedding videos just buy the spindle above and make a nice label for the DVD-r. I have had great success playing these on multiple DVD players including:

Oritron
    Apex
    Panasonic
    Sony

I was really suprised the oritron plays DVD-r as its a really cheap DVD player. Any DVD player that is more then 2 or 3 years old will probably have problems playing any type of DVD-r media.