What's new

Cheap DIY poster frame ideas? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have a movie poster I want to put up, but don't want it to look nice rather than just blu-tacked up onto the wall.

Anybody have any framing ideas that are cheap? Since its not that big a deal, i dont wanna be spending too much on framing the poster (its just a Fight Club poster, nothin special).

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to get a standard poster frame at any art store (or even Linen's 'n Things or Bed, Bath, and Beyond). Shouldn't cost more than $15-$20 bucks and they look pretty nice.

I've been a huge fan of store-bought picture frames after I leaned how to matte my own art and pictures. It's about a quarter of the cost of having it done professionally, and I've found that the stuff I do actually looks better than the stuff I've sent out.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If the poster is 27X40 you might have some difficulty finding appropriate sizes at your general store. Most will be 24x36. If you want to trim it down you can go that route. Suncoast I believe carries 27X40 poster frames and at one time Bed Bath and Beyond had a 27X40 frame packaged as a multi-photo collage display. I also think Ikea sells poster frames closer to the 27X40 dimensions.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Michaels sells a nice 24 * 36 frame for a decent price...and they always have a 40 percent off coupon in the mail fliers...at least they do here in Winnipeg.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Cool... yah, i dont shop for this kinda stuff often, i somehow had the idea that frames cost a lot :b)

The poster's 38.5" tall and 27" wide, i think i saw a frame at ikea that was 70cm x 100cm. Should do alright.

Thanks

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
I got tired of trying to find a reasonably priced frame that fit odd size posters.. leave it to me to pick oddball posters.
If you have the tools you can make simple frames very easy.. and believe me i am no craftsman..

Before

After

Total cost:
$4.95 1.5" x 3/4 x 10' wood strip at home depot
$1.99 for the "L" brackets on the back
Takes a few hours.

Now I just enjoy making it myself...
some more examples of frames by spanky :D

Gone with the wind
Forbidden Planet - My first (really looks like our gang built it :D - but its mine)
Got a few more to make

What do you think?

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
Lyle_E-Sweet! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Are you just mounting the posters to the board then hanging?

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Roger, I used a piece of cardboard as backing, you can usually get a refrigerator box free from your local appliance store. On the first couple of frames, I just used 1/2" staples spaced about 4" apart and bent them over to hold the poster in place. I picked up a picture hanging kit (all the stuff you would need to hang something) for a couple of bucks at the local craft store.

Michael, that is a very nice frame, I really like how you did the corners.... I still have two more posters to frame :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Luis Robinson

Auditioning
Real Name
Luis
NickSo said:
I have a movie poster I want to put up, but don't want it to look nice rather than just blu-tacked up onto the wall. Anybody have any framing ideas that are cheap? Since its not that big a deal, i dont wanna be spending too much on framing the poster (its just a Fight Club poster, nothin special).

Hi Nickso,

I also like to place posters on the walls of my home, they enhance the look of room. Frame them well and you won't be able to believe the outcome of it. While selecting the frame keep in mind the texture and color of the wall, you want to place it on.

I generally buy frames of odd sizes ( ie. 24*36, 20*30)from online stores. Here is the list of links from where I have purchased them:

1. http://www.posterarthouse.com/poster-frame-solid-wood-black-24x36-fully-assembled-3.html
  2. http://www.arttoframe.com/24x36_picture_frames/1
  3. http://www.pfile.com/product/j-pt2436c/24x36-Picture-Frames

I hope you too also find yourself a nice frame for your poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks