What's new

Charlton Heston has died at 84! (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
henry, it's cool.

i just didn't catch the sarcasm is all.

:cool:

besides you didnt post the spoiler.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
A sad loss for the world. Charlton Heston was my favorite actor, as I've stated elsewhere on this board, and someone I admired greatly. He inspired a lot of people. I recommend Charlton Heston's books to everyone. He had more on his mind than trivia and anecdotes. The Actor's Life, In the Arena, and To Be a Man are written by a substantial and discerning person. There's no ego or vanity in his writing. You may look at his performances differently after you read these books. One thing that always impressed me was his respect for and grasp of history as a social science. I wish I had a tape of the interview-debate where he said "In my experience, if you can't learn from history, then you can't learn." That's so true. Heston did not arrive at his political convictions lightly; he got there by study and contemplation. Historians look at current events differently than journalists and politicians do. Heston studied history and current events intently and scientifically, understood the association between the two, and he could hold his own with the academics, only with the added dimension of an actor's discipline. How he processed the driest historical evidence into the emotional life of a character is an alchemy that is most unusual. No other actor does that. From Wild Bill to Cardinal Richeleu, Heston invested his biographical characters and historical films with gravitas and soulfulness. He was truthful in all his performances. My personal favorites are EL CID and PLANET OF THE APES -- which also happen to be two of the greatest works of art of the 20th century -- but I enjoyed every film he made because he was in them. I didn't care if the film was good or not, I just enjoyed spending a couple of hours with Charlton Heston. I watched SKYJACKED recently for the first time since 1973. People tell me its campy, and I'm surprised they see it that way. If Heston's acting style is dated today, it's okay with me, I'll stick with it.

Heston's body of work is a legacy few actor's can match. I hope the rest of his films and television work will be released on DVD soon.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Great post, Steve. I think you nailed it.

Since you appreciated me mentioning my experience with Mr. Heston, let me tell you about the first time I happily met him. It was in 1990 and I heard he was going to be on a New York morning TV show. I took the train into the city while it was still dark out very early that morning, hoping to get to see him live at the studio. I don't know why I'd even bothered to call the station the day before to ask if he would be live or taped, because they never will tell you the truth anyway... and they'd told me it was pre-taped. But, not trusting them, I went anyway.

There's an elevator where the guests go in and out, and I didn't want to become a nuisance so I made sure I didn't loiter too close to the doors. I sort of sat in a chair around the bend, on the left side out of sight of the elevators. I couldn't see the doors from this point; I could only rely on if a guest walked around to my area.

After waiting an hour or so, I figured I'd been defeated and that the show had been taped. So, I walked across the elevators and over to the opposite right side of the doors. Just as I did this, the doors opened, and there came Charlton Heston, having finished his interview and he was now leaving. The irony of this was that he was exiting out the other direction from where I'd been sitting earlier... So had I remained in my seat one moment longer, I would have been totally oblivious that he was exiting the other direction.

When I saw him, you can imagine the thrill... the "larger than life" feel of seeing the man for real. I said hello and he stuck his hand out to shake mine. Being a fan of PLANET OF THE APES, I had a photo with me from BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, and I asked if he would autograph it for me. He was so gracious and kind, and said he would. I mumbled something in an attempt to be humorous, about "I'm sorry that it's from BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, one of your least favorite movies!" to which he assured me with a smile, "Ummm... not my least..." and I was really impressed when he asked me what my name was, and he made the photo out to me. I thanked him, he said "you're welcome" and as he walked away, he looked backward at me and raised his big arm with a "goodbye" wave like Moses commanding the Red Sea.

As a coincidental side note, right after this my wife and I were near St. Patrick's Cathedral, so we stopped inside. I then got goosebumps as I thought of the irony of this church (or the remnants of it) being the backdrop of BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, where Chuck Heston and James Franciscus took on the apes and mutants!

One another time I saw him again at another studio, and I recall there was quite a mob present. Everyone wanted an autograph, and Heston obliged. A woman asked if he could personalize it for her, and he asked almost apologetically: "Would you mind just my name, dear, because I would like to get everyone?"

DanMel

Second Unit
This is very sad news but he lived a full life and am happy he is not suffering anymore.

ICONS radio did an interview with him back on 4/8/2007 (well it may have been done a great deal earlier than that by John Mulholland as he was still very sharp at the time of the interview). He talks a great deal about his favorite actor Gary Cooper and on some of his movies to John.

http://www.modaentertainment.com/ICO...(04.08.07).mp3

http://www.iconsradio.com/pastshows.htm

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I've never seen El Cid, but I love the Ten Commandments, and echo your feeling about Planet of the Apes. In my opinion, it is the greatest Sci-Fi film of the 20th century, If another actor had Heston's role of Taylor, It wouldn't be half the movie it is.

R.I.P Mr. Heston.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I think the first time I saw Heston was as Cardinal Richelieu in The Three Musketeers. I saw it when I was 7 and it was my favorite movie for many years. It's still in my top 10. And of course the first two Apes movies I watched when ever they were on TV, and the Apes marathon in the early 70s.

I have no idea how many hours I've spent watching Charlton Heston on the screen, but please Paramount how about just 2 more hours. Please release The Secret of the Incas (1954) on DVD! Apparently this film was a huge influence on Indiana Jones. Heston even wears the hat and jacket.

Charlton Heston was probably the last of the great actors from the golden age of Hollywood. He will be greatly missed.

Doug

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Douglas Monce:
I have only read The Actor's Life, but it is a favorite that I have read several times. For those who have not read it, it is basically a collection of the daily journal he kept from 1956 to 1976. You learn lot about movie-making and movie history from the journals, and he added a commentary on some journal entries for clarification. I re-read the El Cid section after listening to the unkind and unfair sniping of Mrs Ben Barzman on the El Cid DVD. Heston describes his "feud" with Loren with candor and even points out in the commentary that he knew he came off sort of whining in his journal. Though he and Loren (and Tony Mann) had their differences Heston is always gracious to them in his writing, and sometimes admits that time may have proved him wrong. It is too bad the El Cid "making of" doc dwelt on that stuff too much. The film was built around Heston. Had Heston not done it, the film would not have been made. He was at work on the film before the rest of the cast and for long after. The making of feature should have dwelt on what Heston brought to the film, rather than the sniping of the confidant of one of the stars. Sorry to go on about it, but it just burns me up.

I enjoy almost all the stages of Heston's career, from the cynical surly western characters he started out with, to the biblical heroes to the historical characters to the action heroes. He was the sort of larger than life (how often has that phrase been used for Heston?), frequently heroic presence whose like will not be seen again.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Very sad news indeed. He was a role model to me for both his political views and his screen presence. Heston will always be Moses to me. I truly wished I had met him in person. I have Charlton Heston narrating Old Testament Bible Stories on cd, I guess when I get home from work this morning I'll listen to Moses speak to me as I go to sleep.

With only a few of the "Hollywood Greats" left, I'm seriously dreading the day I hear that Mickey Rooney has passed away. I think he maybe the oldest hollywood icon left.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Bob_S:
Bob, I hope you also have the Charlton Heston Presents The Bible series on DVD. He basically does some of the same readings he did on the CD you mention, but he is filmed in the Holy Land, and adds historical/geographical background to the scriptures as he drives to various locations.

I also like his reading on the Abravanel recording of Copland's A Lincoln Portrait.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One is unable to think of epic movies without Charlton Heston coming to mind.

How many actors had the opportunity to play Moses, John the Baptist, Michelangelo, Marc Antony, Sherlock Holmes, Long John Silver, Abraham Lincoln, Sir Thomas More, Cardinal Richelieu, Henry the Eigth, Thomas Jefferson, and El Cid? Not to mention less prominent characters in great films like Touch of Evil, Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, and Soylent Green. A fourth of that list would make for an impressive filmography by itself.

Much like the ending of El Cid (which has become my favorite of his films), he may have passed on as a man, but the screen icon will never die as long as his films are around to see.

Not only was he a great actor, but he was a great American, period.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
David, I don't have the dvds but maybe I'll have to look into that. I'm assuming your highly recommending them?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Bob_S:
Yes, Bob, if you are a Heston fan (or a Bible fan), Charlton Heston Presents the Bible is quite good. I think it was originally telecast on A & E. They wanted to do a program of Heston doing readings of some of the essential Bible passages. His son Fraser had the idea of presenting it as if Heston were doing research for a move. So you see him keeping a journal, and driving to actual locales and camping out in a tent to add background to the stories. He explains the original oral tradition of the Bible, and then does dramatic readings in a sort of small amphitheater setting.

There are 4 DVDs: Genesis, The Story of Moses, Jesus of Nazareth and The Passion. I bought them as a set a few years ago, though they are now out of print, so you will probably have to buy them from an ebay or Amazon seller. The quality is not particularly stunning (It was put out by Goodtimes Video, after all), but it is worthwhile for the content. Maybe A & E will show them again now that Heston has passed away.

So many forums, so many options. Yet here is where I reside...

The passing of Charlton Heston...

The loss of an era.

-In A Perfect World-The Earth Would Be BarreN-

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was truly saddened to learn of Mr. Heston's passing. He was an icon of Hollywood, an honorable man, and brought much joy to this fan through his films. You will be missed, Chuck. RIP.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Definetly one of the greatest icons in Hollywood's history. Certainly memorialized by his movie contributions. My favorites of course is the 10 Commandments, and Planet of the Apes. Wasn't he in Earthquake also? I have to admit D.L. Hugely's Going Home stand up show mentions the fact that he was president of the NRA and his joke was as Moses, Hestons states Pharoah, you'll let my people go or I'll bust a cap in your ass. I thought is was funny a couple of years ago and it came up again last week. Anyway he will be greatly missed.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I didn't know that he read the Lincoln Portrait. I'll have to look for that. I have the one with James Earl Jones doing the reading, and one with Gregory Peck.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks