Charlie Chaplin 4 disk box set from Image

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Lindley, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

For those interested in the Image 4 disk Chaplin box set, I picked it up at Borders today for $50. It says $80 on the box, but on line at their bordersstores.com (not the Amazon/Borders site)it goes for $49.99 and their internal store computer (both the search yourself computers and those behind the desk confirm the $49.99 price. However, it will scan at $79.99, so get ready to do some talking, some showing of printouts etc.

If it's in stock near you, you should be in luck, Dan

PS: it includes Great Dictator, Modern Times, City Lights and Gold Rush.

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m off to pick this one up.

3. SusanO

SusanO Agent

Got mine yesterday (I'm in Houston and Meyerland and Kirby are sold out [​IMG] - Houston Westheimer supposedly still has one. You might also want to check today's Chronicle (or your local newspaper) to see if there's a 15% off DVDs coupon - several cities (NYC Cleveland Dallas DC) have them!
    -S

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I had a business issue that kept me from going right away so I reserved the set via the web page.

Then I received a Borders e-mail that had a 20% off coupon.

Picked up the set for the grand total of $43.29!

For such a great set I think I got a real deal.

Dan thanks again for posting this information.

5. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Patrick, you are most welcome. Thanks for the thanks, it makes the time spent worth it. Sounds like you sailed through the bargaining/clarification process with greater ease than I did (and with a coupon!). Dan

6. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

At the store I went to, the cashier just took 20% off everything--sale items and DVDs included. Some of those prices were amazing, especially the sale CDs (got the new Bowie CD for $9.60)! The whole thing couldn't have been easier.

Kudos to Borders for making this one easy.

7. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

What a great deal! I only got 15% off the Chaplin boxed set with my coupon, but with a starting price of only $49.99 who cares? I am glad I brought a printout of the $49.99 online price as it rang up $79.99 and they had no way to confirm the online price in the store. The sales lady was very nice, though.

8. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

David, did you try looking at their computers in the store? At my local Borders, they have two 'look it up yourself' computers. These reveal the $50 price, as does the store's internal price computer. It is just the register that bumps it up to $80...

Good job with the printout.

Dan

9. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

I did not see, but did not look for any in-store computers. The cashier just said she had no computer to look up online and verify. She was very glad I brought a printout.

10. Pete O

Pete O Auditioning

You guys might want to hold off on that Chaplin set. WB just made a deal with the owners of all of Chaplin's films and are suppossedly doing brand new editions of all of them.

11. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug

12. John M Miller

John M Miller Stunt Coordinator

Sweet! I picked it up along with The Circus (another Chaplin favorite) for $63.98 plus tax. Cheap!

13. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I saw some of the individual Chaplin titles (Image) priced at $12.99 each at my local Borders. With the 15% coupon, this is an awesome deal. I bought all the Chaplin DVDs last year for $20 each soon after the news came out that they were going OOP. I guess I should have waited ...