What's new

Charlie Chan Vol. 3 in August!! (1 Viewer)

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
And don't forget Kamiyama Sojin, one of the only Asians who played Chan - and, after Hayakawa Sessue, was the biggest Japanese actor in Hollywood in the silent era.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This release got a nice mention in the BITS today. The $39.98 MSRP price was again quoted. If this price is indeed correct (Big "IF") shouldn't the e-tailers that have this listed already be adjusting their prices. Most show a $49.98 MSRP and discount from that.

Steve

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times says:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Charlie Chan Collection Volume 3 on 14th August 2007 priced at $39.98 SRP. A staple of 30s and 40s Hollywood, Charlie Chan’s profound wit and lighthearted counsel in the face of the criminal element has made him a cinematic icon, transcending generations and stereotypes to become one of film’s most beloved crime-solvers. Four of Charlie Chan’s most-ingenious cases make their DVD debut in this third volume starring the original Warner Oland as the sage detective – including Charlie Chan’s Secret, Charlie Chan On Broadway, Charlie Chan At Monte Carlo and The Black Camel - which also stars Bela Lugosi (Dracula). Along with various other extras, the collection also includes the 1929 film Behind That Curtain – Charlie Chan’s premiere appearance in a sound film.

The films are all presented in the original Full Screen format with English Mono sound and optional Spanish and French subtitles. Bonus features are detailed per film below…

Charlie Chan At Monte Carlo includes a Chan Is Missing: The Last Days Of Warner Oland featurette, as well as a restoration comparison, original theatrical trailers, still gallery and “Warner Oland is Charlie Chan” poster gallery.

Side two features the 1929 film Behind That Curtain featuring the earliest surviving onscreen appearance of the Charlie Chan character.

Charlie Chan On Broadway includes featurettes The World Of Charlie Chan and Chanograms: The Aphorisms Of Charlie Chan, as well as a restoration comparison, original theatrical trailer and still gallery.

Charlie Chan’s Secret includes a commentary by film critic Ken Hanke, featurettes Charlie Chan and The Rise of The Modern Detective and Dr. Henry Lee: The Modern Day Charlie Chan, as well as a restoration comparison, the original theatrical trailer and still gallery.

The Black Camel includes commentary by film critic Ken Hanke, as well as a restoration comparison, the original theatrical trailers and still gallery.

Side two includes Charlie Chan’s Chance: A Recreation, a dramatized recreation of the lost film, Charlie Chan’s Chance with an optional introduction by film historian John Cork.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For those interested, DVD Times has now added set artwork (see link John posted in the post immediately above). I had hoped Fox would move to slimlines but these appear to be standard size amarays. Either way, Fox has delivered another attractive looking box.

Although Lasers Edge and maybe a few others haven't yet listed this for pre-order most that have listed showthe MSRP still at $49.98 which indicates that the press release probably had a typo in listing the price @ $39.98.

Steve

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, knocking off $20 was too good to be true.:) Anyhow, at least they've started to adjust their boxset pricing down which is a start.

Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Beaver has a review of Vol 3 up which is mostly positive.

I'm very happy that the screenshots of BLACK CAMEL show a very solid print was used and even more happy that the "crystal ball" scene with Bela Lugosi is confirmed to be included (via the screen cap). That was cut out of many collector prints. Hopefully the exit music will also be presented intact.

Although Gary wrote his normal well written and insightful review, I am a bit puzzled by his comment:

The series did continue for a long time. Fox made 11 more Chan films with Sidney Toler (the first 4 of which will come out either later this year or early next year) and after Fox shut down their B unit Monogram made 17 more Chan films which lasted until the late 40s.

Kudos to Fox for what looks to be another great set and to Gary Tooze for another well written review. As enjoyable as these great Oland films are, the writers really kicked it into high gear for the Toler years and I can't wait to get the restored versions of TREASURE ISLAND, WAX MUSEUM, and DEAD MEN TELL on DVD.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Heads up for Costco members...this set can be had for $31.99 in store (at least that is what my local store is going to charge).

Unfortunately my copy is still stuck in the town where my e-tailers warehouse is. For some reason they didn't get it shipped when stock arrived per their usual custom. Kinda frustrating to pay for expedited shipping and I still may not get it by release date. Those are the chances you take with e-tailers though. I'm going to end up paying $5-$6 more than what I would have at Costco.

roven97

Grip
Real Name
Phil
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I seem to remember way back when one of the early chan boxsets, the Charlie Chanthology, was released it wasn't that good of a release. Poor picture or cut versions or something along those lines. Is this true? And are the Collections 1-3 better?

Thanks.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

No, not true. The Chanthology (6 Monogram Chans) are complete and have good A/V quality although the sound is a bit low. No extras. It was priced ridiculously high to begin with but now can be purchased for between $30-$40 at certain e-tailers. I've seen them at Costco fairly recently also.

Collections 1-3 are "better" from the standpoint that the films have better production values and scripts (although the Chanthology films are still quite entertaining in my opinion). These collections also have numerous bonus features that are very well put together and add value as opposed to taking up space. Fox recently lowered the MSRP on Vol 1 -2 and all three can be purchased for $35 or less if you shop around.

Steve "not so patiently waiting for Vol 3 to arrive" O (with apologies to Gary OS)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Don't sweat it, Steve. I'm not so patiently waiting for both CC Vol. 3 and THE FUGITIVE, S1, V1. I'm hoping at least on of them shows up on Tuesday, if not Monday. But it isn't looking good for that.

Gary "Two of my all time favorites are coming out this Tuesday - I'm really excited" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've made it through a chunk of Vol 3 and some observations:

The commentaries by John Cork and Ken Hanke are very well done and quite interesting. These gentlemen have a good rapport and have a way of complementing each other's comments without being repetitive or interrupting each other.

John Cork went to a fair amount of effort to recreate the lost film. It runs an hour long and is like a radio play accompanied by stills. Congrats on his efforts.

The other special features are up to their usual high standards. My favorite documentary was the bio on Warner Oland. It is my understanding the Dave Lewis, who is interviewed extensively in this piece, is working two books, one an Oland biography and the other is a Toler biography. It was also a treat to see 93 year old Kay Linaker, perhaps the oldest confirmed surviving Chan actress, interviewed for this set. (Louise Henry, who appears in BROADWAY, would be older and no date of death is known for her, but picking up her trail after 1939 is difficult.)

The print of BLACK CAMEL is the one we've all been waiting for all these years. Very good for a 1931 Fox film and certainly miles better than the bad dupes that have circulated in the collector's market for years. My only disappointment with it is that it does not include the Exit Music that originally accompanied this film. I have a copy of this film from an AMC broadcast in the 1980s that includes it so it does exist.

BROADWAY looks very sharp. SECRET looks the best that a Fox film from 1935 can probably look. I've not watched all of MONTE CARLO yet but it looks good.

There are a number of production stills included with each title including some that are behind the scenes shots. It's unfortunate that Fox didn't include these with prior volumes but I hope they continue these in the Toler boxes.

All in all, Fox should be very proud of their work on the Oland Chans. For this last box they lowered the price and increased the bonus content. I'll write another letter to Steve Feldstein and Schawn Belston letting them know their efforts are much appreciated.

Steve

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i found these very enjoyable and nicely done. Might we expect another set sometime in the future?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i found these very enjoyable and nicely done. Might we expect another set sometime in the future?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i found this an enjoyable set as well. Might we hope for another at sometime in the future?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i found this an enjoyable set as well. Might we hope for another at sometime in the future?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Bob, Volume 4 will be coming soon although no date has been published. It has been confirmed on another forum that audio commentaries will be done for this set as well and the usual supply of excellent John Cork documentaries will also be present. Assuming Fox follows the chronological approach, the films should be TREASURE ISLAND, HONOLULU, RENO, and CITY IN DARKNESS. The first three are excellent films with great guest stars (Cesar Romero, George Zucco, Ricardo Cortez). CITY is my personal least favorite Fox Chan film, but that has more to do with Harold Huber's horrible performance/fake accent than the plot. Toler's Chan films were quite strong as a group and looking ahead to Vol 5 and Vol 6 all the films in those boxes are quite good.

I'm on my second go around on Vol 3 (watched BLACK CAMEL 3 times so far) and Fox has outdone themselves with this collection. About the only thing they could do that hasn't already been done (other than find the lost films) is to offer mail in certificates for reproduction one sheets.

Steve

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for the the info Steve. And sorry all for the weird posting there. i did not think the reply was accepted the first time i sent it in!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

You're welcome. Regarding the multi-posts, the same thing happened to me in another thread and I noticed it elsewhere also. The server must have stuttered at that moment.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Yes another great set from Fox. Hopefully Fox will read comments here and note people's appreciation.

Good to hear that Volume 4 is coming ( and hopefully 5 and 6 to finish the Fox assocation with Chan).

Although I own the 3 Fox sets, I havn't bought The Charlie Chan Chanthology. I understand that this contains 6 of the 11 films that Sidney Toler made away from Fox at Monogram. Does anyone know why the other 5 Monogram Toler films have not been released? I.E. Red Dragon, Dark Alibi, Shadows over Chinatown, Dangerous Money and The Trap. I take it all survive (unlike 4 of the Oland titles)?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

The other 5 Monogram Tolers are owned by Warner Home Video which also owns the 6 that followed starring Roland Winters. Only the first 6 are owned by MGM for reasons I can't explain but probably have to do with the frequent ownership changes of the Monogram/Allied Artist library.

WHV publicly confirmed a planned release of these final Monograms two years ago but finding good prints has been problematic. It's a similar situation that they're facing with the Bowery Boys films. At the last chat they indicated that the potential release was "under serious discussion". My speculation, and it's not based on anything but a gut feel, is that if WHV decides to release them they will wait until Fox finishes up with their series of releases. This would fit in a single box of double features. Another factor in determining if these get released would be the level of consumer support that they get for 2008's planned collections of the Saint/Falcon, Perry Mason, and Philo Vance series films.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks