What's new

Charcoal or Gas Grill? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
The Spirit line feels more solid, but has a big premium for similar quality as Char Broil.
Seriously, no. Even the "inexpensive" Weber will easily outlast a Char-Broil.
Still confused about infrared. Don't know if I want re-learn how to grill.

The infrared is nonsense. All it is is a metal plate between the flame and the food that supposedly diffuses the heat to make it more even. A friend of mine had one and it didn't last a year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
(bump)

Time to shop for a grill.
Getting a deck built (oh frantabulous joy!)
Need to shop for a grill

Based on recommendations last year, I'll probably the 'tired of researching and shopping' route and just buy a Weber Genesis.

Any other input? I'm a few months from buying, probably.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have two Weber Kettle charcoal and one Weber Q gas and use them all regularly .. the gas one is just outside our kitchen door in our outdoor patio and is great for quick convenient every day grilling and roasting. I use the large charcoal at Christmas every year for a turkey and the smaller one when I want special flavour on, for instance, a couple of free-range chickens.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The grill we have is a WalMart grill that was on sale for $175(normal price around $220, MSRP of $275).

Both gas and charcoal with a sideburner. Never thought I'd use a sideburner...but...will never buy a grill in the future without one.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dennis Nicholls said:
Dave,Will you have natural gas piped out to the deck, or are you sticking with propane bottles?
Yes, The new place has a natural gas line run to exterior of house. With the deck construction, I'll have that line extended (on the exterior) to where the grill will be located.Hooray, no more running out of gas halfway through the grill, at 7 pm on a Sunday night (and the propane place is closed).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Weber Genesis E310 vs E330? I don't need the side burner. But what's a "sear station"? Is that worth $100?E310: Stainless Steel vs Black? Is it just aesthetics, or is there a build quality difference?

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Dave Falasco said:
There is a gas/charcoal grill out there, though. I think it's made by Thermos? I used to see ads for it quite often, where a guy was taking his grill out for a walk, and two girls came over to pet it as if it was a dog.Can't find a link for it, but here is one by Char-broil. No idea if these are any good, but if you really can't decide between the two...
My buddy has one of those dual units - Broil King? From Home Depot I think - best of both worlds IMHO

He does a quick sear on the charcoal, then finishes on the gas - locks in all the charcoal flavors

I use gas BBQ & have a griddle insert & also a ceramic plate for doing pizzas etc

Some of the mequite (& other) flavored chips work pretty well with the
special metal holder put below, directly on the gas burners

GOOGLE shows quite a few different makes/models

Lowes has some also http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-5050_0__?productId=1245537

Here is a fairly decent guide to type choice http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/

Some humor http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/grills_gone_wild.html

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This forum really needs to do something about emphasizing post dates or something. The post you quoted was from 2003. The font and colour of the post date are both too small and too bland, so it is very easy for people to not notice the thread is so old that it is growing mold.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Edwin-S said:
This forum really needs to do something about emphasizing post dates or something. The post you quoted was from 2003. The font and colour of the post date are both too small and too bland, so it is very easy for people to not notice the thread is so old that it is growing mold.
^
+1

CRIPES - never saw that !! :eek:

He's probably on his 3rd BBQ since then :D

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I love my Weber gas grill...and I use wood chips in a smoker box to get that extra smoky taste. I probably grill 4-5 nights a week during the summer with big cookout every Saturday. We grill burgers, steak, seafood, ham steaks, pork chops, veggies and even some fruit (pineapple is great grilled). Gas is much easier to maintain, use and keep clean plus it fires up to 500 degrees in 10 minutes. Gas vs charcoal will stir up as much debate as DNR, LCD vs plasma, HTIB vs separates!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Since I didn't chime in back in 2003...

I've had both before... nothing beats the convenience of a gas grill (particularly if you're cooking only for yourself or one or two others, and not a full house of people), but I think the flavor is usually better off a charcoal grill. I'm currently at a house with a gas grill, and it's sure nice to be able to pop outside, flip it on, cook something quick and be done, and be able to do that during winter. Sometimes we'll use some of those wood chips for the smoke flavor and that's pretty effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks