What's new

CHAPLIN on public domain DVD (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I believe I have all the authorized Charles Chaplin releases. "Authroized" means the The Chaplin Mutuals volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, The Essanay Comedies volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, and The Chaplin Collection box sets 1 and 2 on Warner Home Video.

Setting aside the authorized releases for a moment, Charlie Chaplin profilerates in public domain editions.

As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if any of the pd editions are worth checking out. You never know with public domain labels; sometimes the quality is excellent, most times not.

Has anyone seen a pd edition that they would recommend? for quality? for differences? for any reason that sets it apart from authorized editions?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Best quality...

Keystones: A massive restoration effort is underway, but as of now, just a few good prints appear on the Slapstick Encyclopedia box set from Image.

Mutuals: A new complete collection is coming soon from new remasters and with orchestral Carl Davis scores.

Essanays: Three excellent DVD's out, plus a 7-disc set with all Mutuals and Essanays. However, the Mutuals have pretty bad scores and noisy video masters. I'd just get the single discs.

First Nationals/United Artists: Either the Image DVD's or the MK2/Warner discs. I'd import the PAL MK2's to avoid the ghosting issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks