CHAPLIN on public domain DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I believe I have all the authorized Charles Chaplin releases. "Authroized" means the The Chaplin Mutuals volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, The Essanay Comedies volumes 1, 2 and 3 by Image, and The Chaplin Collection box sets 1 and 2 on Warner Home Video.

Setting aside the authorized releases for a moment, Charlie Chaplin profilerates in public domain editions.

As a matter of curiosity, I wonder if any of the pd editions are worth checking out. You never know with public domain labels; sometimes the quality is excellent, most times not.

Has anyone seen a pd edition that they would recommend? for quality? for differences? for any reason that sets it apart from authorized editions?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Best quality...

Keystones: A massive restoration effort is underway, but as of now, just a few good prints appear on the Slapstick Encyclopedia box set from Image.

Mutuals: A new complete collection is coming soon from new remasters and with orchestral Carl Davis scores.

Essanays: Three excellent DVD's out, plus a 7-disc set with all Mutuals and Essanays. However, the Mutuals have pretty bad scores and noisy video masters. I'd just get the single discs.

First Nationals/United Artists: Either the Image DVD's or the MK2/Warner discs. I'd import the PAL MK2's to avoid the ghosting issues.