Changing Drivers in my sub's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Aparicio, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Joel Aparicio

Hello All,
    My problem is that I have two Kenwood 200-watt 12" powered sub's, one located in a front left corner and the other located in the right rear underneath a end table. The problem is that when I venture above the 117db range the subs become overly distorted and drop out. I am wondering if changing out the driver's would releave this problem, and if it would what drivers to go with?[​IMG]

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

your other problem is huge text.

id sell the current sub(s) intact and DIY a well designed substitute.

ive tried the driver retrofit route, and the results (although an improvement) were no where near the cost benifit i got by starting from scratch with a better design.

117dB at what frequency? IMO 117dB @ 20hz is way more satisfing that 117@ 40 hz. how big is the room. whats the room layout?

more importantly- how loud do you really want to get? 117dB is pretty loud already.

3. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

Joel,
    I agree with Rich. I would not change the drivers because chances are the speakers that you replace them with won't be the best match for the enclosure.
    However I would start by putting both subs in the same corner (and as close together as possible). This will increase coupling of the two speakers and raise the output a few dBs.
    If you decide to build your own it's quite possible to build a sub that would anialate anything you could buy for the same price.