Challenges as a kid, but not an adult..

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jul 29, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I used to watch so much TV as a kid.... We had Family Matters, AFVH, AFV, Full House, Rossane, Home Improvement, Gameshows, and Saturday Morning Tunes.
    I was then 'forced' to not watch it for a weekend or two and get out of the house like I used to.

Problem is, I was always out going before we moved.. then it's a new house, tougher to make new friends, and I just turned to the tube...

Now, FF years later. I forgot the cord to the cable box, the TV Tuner on the computer is freezing up in our vacation house, so I said to hell with it. A full day without TV. Probably one of the more relaxing days I've had in a long long while [​IMG]. Plus, we have the scenic beauty of the shore as a backdrop [​IMG].

I've got to try t his more often, especially with all the crap on the air today [​IMG].

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

during my freshman year in college i didn't even own a television. my fiance and i cancelled our television service about 3 months ago. television is full of vapid, unintelligent programming that mostly appeals to the lowest common denominator. i've watched network tv a few times at friend's house since turning off our service and i always feel disgusted and dumber for watching it. there are probably 2 original shows on television and the rest is crap. we usually just watch seasons on dvd and movies. no commericals or other garbage.

kevin t

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    about 4 years ago, i rewired my room to bring the cable modem and wireless router up here, and mistakenly cut the wrong cable cord and severed my cable tv connection. i figured i'd fix it later, but i didnt feel like i was missing any shows.

yesterday, my gf asks what cable package we should get from comcast (moving into our first home) and i said apart from when the sopranos (and lost) comes back on, i dont care if we get any service at all.

i used to watch tv all the time, but i find that when i dont have it easily accessible, i didnt miss it at all.

CJ

4. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I have so little time to watch television any more, I often think about getting rid of my service. The few times I can sit down and watch something, I put on a movie. But the problem is, I'm a huge football fan, so on Sundays I gotta have access to ESPN and NFL Network!

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

LOL - When my brother moved, it took a while to get his cable hooked up, so he borrowed all of my Family Guy and Cheers DVD sets. It's good to know that I can supply family and friends with entertainment during their cable transition. [​IMG]

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

My cable gets cut off as soon as hockey is over for the year. I have no shortage of entertainment to watch in what very little free time I have.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

So what books/intelegant things are you reading/doing to get get the stimulation you require?

8. andrew markworthy

I agree 100% with this statement. However, it's only *full* of crap, not *totally* consisting of crap, and in amongst the LCD drivel there is good stuff as well. For example, Without a Trace, CSI, House, et al, although lightweight, can't be dismissed as poor quality. Likewise, not every documentary is pitched at someone with such a low memory span that there has to be a recap of the plot so far after every commercial break.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Obviously you never watched sports, HBO, Discovery channel, A&E, PBS, CNN, etc.

I find a lot of people complaining about 'crap' on TV, yet they never seem to move away from FOX and MTV [​IMG] - If all you watch is crap, then you're obviouslly going to think that that's all that's on.