Ceton Introduces 6-Tuner PCIe & Ethernet Editions

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by mattCR, May 13, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Ceton Expands it's lineup with a 6-Tuner Ethernet and PCI-E rendition of it's popular cards.

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/
    Supports full Multi-Cast so it may be operated from more than 1 media center at once for Live TV

The new InfiniTV6 internal PCI-E card supplies 6 DVR tuners on one device.
    http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-pcie/

Both retail for $299.

As of today, the InfiniTV4 has officially dropped in price to $199 at Ceton, along with the USB device.

For more details, check out:
    http://www.cetoncorp.com/

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    This launched literally minutes after I ordered the old one, how bizarre. Have ordered the ETH and will send the 4 channel one back.

3. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I almost PM'd you but embargo was still on, I was hoping I'd catch you in time, sorry about that. The 6 ETH is a GREAT device. I should have a review up probably tomorrow night. I've been very impressed and it's performance is very good. I ended up ditching my Ceton4 internal to just have it which covers everything for me.

It's great stuff, Sam, you'll be pleased.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Looking forward to reading your review.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Me too. Mine will be here tomorrow and hopefully my FIOS cable card will be too. I actually have the perfect spot to put it I think, in my guest room I have one of my AirPort Extremes hooked into the Ethernet jack and there is an open coax port in that room, since there is no TV in there (sorry guests!). I figure I can put it there and not have to run splitters off the other rooms and all 3 xboxes in the house can get to it via that as can my new Area 51 which is my defacto HTPC. If the Xboxes work well as Media Center extenders I could actually pull 2 actual cable boxes from the house and this new capabilty would have paid for itself in less than a year PLUS given me a few more access points.

BUT my big concern is how much bandwidth this is going to eat up over wifi. Does it even work over wifi or do you have to have hard lines between it and the router?

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    BTW Matt the link for your CETON guide in your signature 404s.

7. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah, it links to the way the old site was, I need to fix that. Still wrapping up my review. It's mostly positive, though a few notes.. you pretty much MUST have wired gigabit networking, take that as a given.. and tuner pooling has mixed results; but otherwise, very positive. I'm trying to work a comparison to the HD Prime (I have the 3 Tuner Prime in my network as well) to kind of cover it.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Well shit, that might not be the best for me then. Won't send the USB version back until I'm sure.

Thanks.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  10. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
  11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah I misunderstood at first and edited my post =(

12. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
  13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    OK I can't see using more than 4 ever, usually no more than 1 at a time, 2 if I am watching something on one and have a recording going on via DVR in the background.My whole home Ethernet is only 100mb (I tried like hell to get them to put in a gigabit but they couldn't at the time) so even if I wanted to I'm not sure I could unless I did a dedicated gigabit in one room. Do you have recommendations on gig routers if I go that route?

14. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Most routers anymore have gigabit as a default. I really like the Amplify series, but Asus also makes several great and affordable Gigabit routers.

If you ran Cat5E, you can run gigabit.. While Cat6 gains you some benefits, Cat5E will handle Gigabit transfers.

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I just spoke to my whole home installer, they tell me the kit is modular so I can change the router in the box without upsetting the rest of the LyriQ system. Will confirm tonight but I may be able to just swap this guy in:

http://www.amazon.com/-Q-Legrand-DA1008-8-Port-Gigabit/dp/B0032FO20O/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1368558962&sr=1-4&keywords=on-q+legrand

16. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I looked at stuff like OnQ when we did our new hometheater room, which isn't quite done yet.. I ended up going with two separate systems and so far I'm content.. but still a lot of work to go.

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Blah I just realized that's only a switch, not a router. So I'd have to put this component in:
    http://www.legrand.us/onq/networking/wired-networks/routers-switches/da1054.aspx
    http://www.amazon.com/On-Legrand-DA1054-Gigabit-Platinum/dp/B00AHZKN64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368559668&sr=8-1&keywords=on-q+da1054

And then put an 8 port gigabit switch in on top of it to get more than 4 ports.

If I connect a mix of 100mb devices onto that is it all gonna slow down to 100mb or are they smart enough to not do that these days like they used to?

18. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Sam-

That wouldn't matter. Your switch could be 10Mb, 100Mb, or whatever, but if your endpoints were all plugged into a gigabit switch, they talk amongst themselves as gigabit.

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    That doesn't sound right. You are contradicting yourself? My understanding is that all endpoints these days will talk at their native speed OR the speed of their intermediary parts, whichever is slowest. But having a mixed network of endpoints will not cause a mid point to delay the faster of those endpoints. So fast router = gig endpoints talk at gig speeds and 100mb talk at 100mb just fine. But a 100mb router slows gig endpoints down to 100mb.

20. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    No. That's not at all right.

A switch just slows down port by port the link. For example, I have a 24 port gigabit switch in my house. I have a network printer that is 10Mb, but my transfer speeds between myself and the server are gigabit (easily) as I have no problem sustaining 50Mb/s or higher transfer.

With wireless on my network, wireless can negotiate as low as 24Mbs/, but the rest of the network isn't slowed down to 24Mb/s. Each device negotiates it's own rate, if the switch supports it, the only factor is that both devices on both ends satisfy.
    So, if I have a network where almost all computers have 100Mb network cards, but my server has gigabit and the workstation I'm on has gigabit.. the workstation I'm on still gets gigabit transfers from the server ;)

If your router is 100Mb then any traffic going through it (to the net) will be limited by that factor; but if you go router to switch, then the only thing controlled by that is the DHCP call.

For example, in a large local network their entire network is gigabit, and their server is 10Gb. But their router, a Cisco 2600, is 100Mb. That doesn't mean the entire network runs at 100Mb ;)