What's new

Center muffled (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Lin

Auditioning
Hi experts,

I just moved and setup a dedicated HT. Sounds awful. So I bought Infinity IL-40 mains and IL-25 center. I am getting terrible dialogue so I get Polk center instead. Still bad. Do you figure it's receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509s) or speaker placement. If it's receiver what should i buy for $700 - $1000?

Thanks

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Kevin,
Welcome to the forum! Don't hesitate to discuss your questions here.
Well, you have good start, that sounds ... interesting! :)
Stop buying for a moment! You must be able to get a very reasonable sound with the stuff you have. Pioneer is a very good brand.
But, could you perhaps be a little more specific? What test material did you use (which movie, DVD, etc.). What are the settings of your receiver. What do you exactly mean when you say "terrible" and "bad"? Was it better before? What was your setup then (what exactly did you change in your new environment)? How do the L and R main speakers sound? If great, check your wiring again, as well as the setting on your receiver (center not muted, I suppose?).
Etc! Good luck, please let us know!
Cees

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
You could also check the placement of your center speaker. If it is on top of a set then you should bring it out so that is overhangs a bit so that the sound is not being redirected by the top of the set. Also make sure that the center is directed toward the listening position. Even if it is facing downward or upward a degree or two it can make the dialog extremely muffled. I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Kevin_Lin

Auditioning
Thanks for suggestion Rich, and thanks for welcome Cees. I am going to try aiming the center down, it is higher than my mains, that might help.

Kevin

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Have you calibrated the system? Spending a few bucks on a DVD with test tones (like Avia or Video Essentials) and a sound level meter would likley solve your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks