What's new

center channel vibrates tv and makes noise (1 Viewer)

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Well here is my problem. I have an axiom vp150 center channel and i notice that when i play movies and a certain frequency happens which i found out with a tone generator is around 230hz makes the tv rattle. I have the center channel sitting on top of my tv which is a sony kp-43ht20. Does anyone have an idea how i can make the tv stop vibrating like what to put between the center and tv. I also cant take the center off the top of the tv and put it on a stand. The center has to stay on top of the tv.
Thanks everyone for your time to read this.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
i put some sound deadening that i had left over from my car and some double sided mounting tape with the backing still on between the tv and the center channel. It helped some but still there. When i push down on the top of the tv it goes away. I do have a shelf behind my tv that i could put the center channel on but the front of the shelf is probably 18 inches from the front of the tv. Its also about 8inches higher than the tv. If i did this though my front speakers would be in the same line as the tv and the center would be farther back. Also wouldnt the tv keep the center from dispersing all the way around. What is everyones thoughts.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Well, that sound deadening material is really only supposed to help stop sound waves traveling through the air, not vibrations from an object in physical contact with it. I still think your best bet is to try what I suggested.

Matt Hobbes

Agent
I noticed that too with my center channel... usually during dialog when people screamed or were yelling... my tv would resonate...I thought it was the speaker for a long time.
I just stacked felt pad stickers to isolate and to tilt my center channel slightly down... total cost less than $1! And it actually worked.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Spike It!

I'm using these . You need to isolate the speaker from the tv. Blu-Tac and pads will still transfer vibrations to the tv. Cones and spikes are used to isolate while providing a solid support.

Good luck,
James

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Im trying not to spend any money and going the cheap way out. Ill take a look around the house and see what i have laying around. If i put some carpet between the tv and the center you think that would help? I tried the sound deadening material because it has a rubber on it and probably helps a little absorbing the vibration. I might have some felt pads laying around i will have to give that a try.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
I tried those little feet things that u put on bottom of furniture to keep the furniture from scratching ur floor. Seems to do pretty well now. A little tv rattle but i can only hear it when im up by the tv. Thanks everyone.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Don't mean to hijack, but when ya see bad info, ya just gotta correct it.

Some of you dudes need to go back to school and learn the laws of physics. Spikes and cones do not isolate. They couple. Put your hand under a spike of a heavy speaker. The resulting blood will tell you the spikes do not isolate. Spikes concentrate the speakers weight onto very small surface areas which will result in better vibration transmission. The cones that JamesCB pointed to are kinda silly. The spike section of them are only cosmetic in this case because they have foam pads at each end. Only the foam is providing the isolation here. Take away the shiny metal part and you will still have the same level of isolation with the remaining foam pads. Take away the foam and the cones will couple. This particular cone will confuse and mislead alot of people, as already demonstrated.

Much machinery on Navy ships and subs is mounted on resilient mounts made of rubber to reduce the amount of noise transmitted to the hull and into the water making them tougher to locate. No spikes here.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I was also somewhat confused about the spikes/cones suggestion. I have my centre sitting on a towel on top of my TV for this reason. It's not at all attractive, but it works well.

JamesCB

Second Unit
You may need to go back through your physics primers, fella's.

Vibration isolation is most definitely acheived through a smaller support structure. A smaller suface area for transfer will isolate.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
As long as a spike is made of ridgid materials, it will couple. THESE guys seem to think so too. And THESE guys.

However, I can definitely see how spikes can isolate a speaker that has an insufficiently braced cabinet that vibrates since the spikes go near the corners where the cabinet is more ridgid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks